Biographies & Obituaries
Back to A-Der
Edward H. Devin
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 637, 638--Polk County Biographies Section
Edward H. Devin, an old settler and farmer of Polk County, Mo., is the son of William R. and Rebecca (Oliver) Devin. The father was a native Virginian, born in 1801, and when a young man went to Tennessee, where he married Miss Oliver. After making several moves, they settled in Lincoln County, Tenn., where they remained until about 1834, and then come to Missouri. They stopped in Pike County, but the following year came to Polk County, where the father followed farming for many years. Aside from this he kept store in Bolivar for fourteen years. He held the office of county treasurer of Polk County for a number of years, was collector a term, was representative a term, and also filled the position of county judge for a number of years. In his political views he affiliated with the Democratic party. He died in 1876, and his wife about five years later, and both were members of the Primitive Baptist Church. In their family were twelve children, six sons and six daughters. Edward H. Devin was born in Lincoln County, Tenn., January 10, 1830, was reared to farm labor, and received a limited education in the old subscription schools. He remained at home until February, 1853, when he married Miss Mary E. Jarnagin, a native of Tennessee, born March 16, 1837. Four children were the fruits of this union--Unity O., Ida C., Nathaniel S., and Eddie E. After marriage Mr. Devin settled on his present property, and here he has since remained. He is the owner of 200 acres, and, although he commenced life with little means, he is now in very comfortable circumstances. In 1856 he moved to California, mined for some time, also handled stock, and returned home in 1858. He is a Democrat in politics, is a Mason, and a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
William G. Drake
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 638, 639--Polk County Biographies Section
William G. Drake, M. D., was born in Greene County, Tenn., March 5, 1845, his parents being Joseph and Blanche (McPherson) Drake, both natives of Tennessee, the former of English, and the latter of Irish descent. In 1845 the family started for Texas, and in passing down the Chuffey River the boat struck a bridge, which fell, killing the father; the mother turned back, and still lives in Tennessee, at an advanced age. Both were members of the Presbyterian Church. He was a farmer, and in politics a Whig. The family consisted of three children, two sons and one daughter. One son died from wounds received in battle while in the Federal army. The subject of this sketch was raised on the farm, but was attending Greenville College when the war broke out, and, though but seventeen years of age, he enlisted in Company I, First East Tennessee Cavalry, U. S. A., in July, 1862, and served till the close of the war. Starting out as a private, he arose, step by step, till he held the office of second lieutenant, being the youngest officer of his regiment. He was in the battles of Chickamauga, Nashville, Franklin, and the Atlanta campaign. Having been taken prisoner at Atlanta, and while being marched to prison, he stepped behind a tree, allowing the others to pass, and thus escaped. After returning home he attended Tusculum College for two years, and in 1867 married Virginia Robinson, a native of Tennessee, who died in 1870. In 1869 Mr. Drake moved to this county, and, having studied medicine, he took a course of lectures in the medical department of the University of Louisville, Ky., then practiced till 1875, when he again took a course of lectures at the St. Louis Medical College, graduation in 1876. In 1882 he removed to Bolivar from his former location at Fair Play, and has since enjoyed a lucrative practice. In 1875 he married Amanda L. Hendricks, by whom he has had five children: William T., Mamie R., Joseph A., Carl J. and Charles E. He has a farm of 780 acres. He is a Republican, a member of the G. A. R. and of the A. O. U. W. Both he and his wife are Presbyterians. Return To Top of Page
Thomas H. B. DUNNEGAN
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 639--Polk County Biographies Section
Judge Thomas H. B. Dunnegan,
who resides at Bolivar, Mo., was born in Lawrence County, Mo., April 1, 1842. His paternal
ancestors were of Irish descent. His great-grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier, after
which period, with his family, he emigrated from the State of North Carolina to the State
of Tennessee. His grandfather served under Gen. Jackson in the War of 1812, participation
in the battle of the Horseshoe Bend. His father, Matthew Dunnegan, was born in Tennessee,
came to Missouri with his father in 1832, and to Polk County in 1835. In 1837 he married
Priscilla Akard, also a native of Tennessee, whose parents settled in Polk County in 1831.
She is still living at Dunnegan Springs, he having died there in August, 1871. The subject
of this sketch received what little education was afforded by the old-time district and
subscription schools of Southwest Missouri. Early in 1861 he enrolled in the Polk County
Home Guards, and in December of the same year enlisted in Company A, Eighth Missouri State
Militia Cavalry, serving until January 27, 1865. On his return from the army he located in
Bolivar, where he engaged in merchandising for about a year, when he was appointed to fill
an unexpired term as county clerk. For two years he was deputy sheriff and collector, and
in 1868 was elected sheriff and collector, holding the office until January, 1873. From
1878 to 1882, he was associate judge of the county court, and in 1888 was again elected to
the same position. For about fifteen years he has been a member of the Bolivar School
Board. In 1872 he engaged in banking, in which business he has continued. He is also
occupied in farming and stock raising. On April 5, 1866, he married Miss Sallie A. Beggs,
daughter of the late Dr. Joseph Beggs, of Clarion County, Penn., by whom he had four sons,
three of whom, Willard B., J. Matt. And Carl F., still survive. She died October 8, 1876.
Four years later, June 15, 1880, he married Miss Ella A. Carothers, daughter of the late
Judge Carothers, of Shelby County, Mo., by whom he has had four daughters, three of whom,
Grace B., Bessie A. and Olive L., are living. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, a Master Mason, Knight Templar, member of the G. A. R. and
A. O. U. W., and last, but not least, a Republican in politics.
Top of Page
M. W. EASLEY
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 639, 640--Polk County Biographies Section
M. W. Easley. Any sketch in the history of Polk County, Mo., would be incomplete without mention of Mr. Easley, who is one of the oldest living settlers of that county. He was born in Ray County, Tenn., in 1815, and grew to manhood in Grainger County, of that State. His parents, Warham and Catherine (Counts) Easley, were both natives of Tennessee. The father was a farmer by occupation, was married in his native State, and reared his children there. He was a soldier in the Black Hawk War, and was twice a member of the State Legislature from Grainger County, Tenn. He died in his native State at the age of eighty-seven years. To his marriage were born four children, M. W. Easley being third in order of birth. The latter came to Missouri in 1837, locating in Polk County, and began clerking in a store in Springfield, where he remained until the next spring and then went to farming. At this time Indians were numerous and the town of Bolivar consisted of two or three houses. Mr. Easley entered land, and followed farming for five or six years. In 1852 he engaged in mercantile pursuits at Oakland, and was postmaster for some years. He continued his mercantile pursuits for twenty-nine years, or until ten years ago, and in connection has always carried on farming. He has had goods hauled from St. Louis, Mo., on wagons, and has experienced all the hardships suffered by early settlers. On account of being postmaster at Oakland he did not go to the war. He was a Whig previous to that time, but since then has been a Republican in his politics, his first presidential vote being for William H. Harrison. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity. Aside from his mercantile interest, of which he has made a complete success, he is the owner of more than 700 acres of land, and has given much to his children. He was married in Polk County, Mo., to Miss Sophronia Akard, a native of Tennessee, born in 1829, and they had a family of three children: Warham, deceased; John, died at the age of about twelve years; and James B., collector of revenue. Warham grew to manhood, married, and was the father of four children at the time of his death. They were named as follows: Shelton W., Magnes T., Mary E., and Booker, who died in infancy. Miller W. Easley, grandfather of our subject, was born in Virginia, and became an early pioneer of Tennessee, where he passed the remainder of his days. The paternal grandmother was of the Lyons family.
James B. EASLEY
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 640, 641--Polk County Biographies Section
James B. Easley, the present efficient county collector, was born in Polk County, Mo., February 3, 1855. He is a son of Miller W. and Sophronia (Akard) Easley, both natives of Tennessee, though they came to this county when young, and here married; they still live in Madison Township. His father has been a farmer and a merchant; in politics he was a Whig before the war, and since then has supported the Republican platform. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a well respected citizen. The subject of this sketch, the only one living of a family of three sons, was raised on a farm and educated in the common schools. He worked in his father's store till 1879, when he married Mary L. Renshaw, of Greene County, and by her had three children, Eugenia E, Frank B. (who is deceased), and Willie R. His wife is a Presbyterian. He is a Republican, a Mason, and belongs to the Knights of Pythias. When the railroad was put through, Mr. Easley and W. M. Potts were in business about a year at Fair Play, when they were burned out. In 1886 Mr. Easley was elected collector, which position he still holds. Though a young man, he fills one of the most important offices in the county. He is highly esteemed, and deserves the confidence reposed in him by the people of his county.
Top of Page
Jacob L & Morris A. EWING
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 641--Polk County Biographies Section
Jacob L. and Morris A. Ewing. Prominent among the pioneer settlers of Polk County, Mo., were Arthur and Sallie (Mitchell) Ewing, the former a native of Virginia, born in 1802, and of Irish descent. He remained in his native State until quite a lad, and then moved with his parents to East Tennessee. In 1835 Arthur came westward, locating in Polk County, and five years later married Miss Mitchell, a native of East Tennessee, and the daughter of Rev. James Mitchell. Having established himself as a farmer, Mr. Ewing followed that pursuit through life and was very successful. He never took a prominent part in politics, although he always voted the Democratic ticket. Both he and wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. She died March 2, 1857, and he February 13, 1869. Their family consisted of five sons, of whom only two are now living: Jacob L. and Morris A. Both these sons were born on the old homestead, the former, December 2, 1848, and the latter, September 2, 1851. Jacob received very little education, owing to the breaking out of the war, and he has followed agricultural pursuits all his life. He is a Democrat in his political principles, and, like his father, has always voted with that party. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Odd Fellows' lodge, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Morris A. gave himself a good education, being the first to take the degree of A. B. from Morrisville College, in 1877. After graduating, he was selected as teacher in his Alma Mater, which position he held until 1878. September 1 of that year he married Miss Rebecca J. Hall, a native of Jasper County, Mo., and to them were born four children: Sallie J., Arthur W., Alice E. and Mary R. In 1875 and 1876 he held the office of county commissioner, and in 1877 he was licensed to preach in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of which his wife is also a member. He is a Mason, and in his political views is also a Democrat. The brothers own 444 acres of good land, with about 265 acres under cultivation.
John W. FARMERHISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 641, 642--Polk County Biographies Section
John W. Farmer, M. D., was born in Anderson County, Tenn., June 28, 1822. His parents were Luke and Jane (Williams) Farmer, both of Virginia, the former having been born in 1792, of English parents, and his wife in 1790, of Welsh parents. After marriage the father followed the life of a farmer till 1833, when he was killed by the falling of a tree, and his widow and children remained on the same farm till 1851, when they moved to Polk County, Mo., then to Cedar County, near El Dorado Springs, where she died in 1866. Luke Farmer was a soldier in the War of 1812. The family consisted of six children, four sons and two daughters. The subject of this sketch, John Williams Farmer, was raised on a farm and received a common school education. Leaving the farm, he alternately taught and attended college till he reached the junior year in East Tennessee University. In 1851 he graduated at Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio, after which he returned to Tennessee, and, October 22, 1851, married Nancy A. Pruett, of Roane County, Tenn., by whom he had one child, which died. The same year he located some eight miles southwest of Bolivar, Mo. In 1853 his wife died, and, five years after, he married Mrs. Sarah S. Campbell, of this county, but a native of Carter County, Tenn., who died in December, 1888. By her he had two children, Mary E., who died young, and Trefilia Jane, who still lives. Dr. Farmer was chairman of the county court for several years, has always been a Democrat, and is a Mason. In connection with his practice he is interested in farming, owning 2,500 acres of land. From 1863 to 1865 he was assistant surgeon of the Fifteenth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, Federal Service. He is now a member of the Board of Examining Surgeons for the Pension Department, at Bolivar, Mo.
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 642, 643--Polk County Biographies Section
Daniel W. Faulkner, president of the Bank of Bolivar, was born October 9, 1836, and is a son of Col. James and Rebecca (Woodard) Faulkner. His father was born in Richmond, Va., of English descent, and married miss Rebecca Woodard, of Tennessee, settling in Polk County in 1837, about twelve miles south in Bolivar. The subject of this sketch, a native of Davidson County, Tenn., was raise on his father's farm, received his education of the old subscription schools, and, having worked at home till twenty-two years of age, became an independent farmer. September 28, 1859, he married Mary L. Corbin, a native of Kentucky, by whom he has had five children, three of whom are living: Marcella A., Nathan C. and Homer D. In 1862 Mr. Faulkner turned his attention to merchandising, in which business he remained about fourteen years, in the meantime taking contracts for railroads, his last work in that line being the building of the road into Bolivar. He was four years presiding justice of Laclede County Court, and ex-officio probate judge, doing good work for the county in reducing its indebtedness. In 1885 he became president of the Bank of Bolivar, a position for which he is ably fitted by reason of ability, good judgment and concise business methods, and is also a large land-owner. Mr. Faulkner is a Royal Arch Mason, a Democrat, and a member of the Christian Church, as is also his wife. Contact: Mike Kelly fyrewalker at ec.rr.com
Jeremiah M. FISHER
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 643--Polk County Biographies Section
Jeremiah M. Fisher, farmer and stockman, is the son of Jeremiah and Catherine (Marshall) Fisher, both natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. After marriage the parents moved to Ohio, locating in Logan County, where the father died in 1852, at the age of forty-one. In 1863 the widow and family moved to Mahaska County, Iowa, and there the widow still lives, being seventy-five years of age. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church. The father was a shoemaker by trade, and a Democrat in politics. Of the nine children born to their marriage, the fourth in order of birth was Jeremiah M. Fisher, whose birth occurred in Logan County, Ohio, January 1, 1842. He was reared to farm labor, and attended school but very little after he was twelve years of age, as his father died about that time. He remained with his mother, and with her went to Iowa, but before leaving Ohio he married, January 22, 1863, Miss Lucy A. Whitaker, a native of Morrow County, Ohio born August 10, 1842. This union resulted in the birth of eight children, six now living: Emerson W., Charley W., Jeremiah W., Lucy R., Lee W., and Bessie W. After moving to Iowa in 1863, they continued there one year, and then returned to Ohio, where they remained until 1866, and then came to Greene County. Here he farmed and handled stock until 1874, when he moved to Barton County, and there continued his agricultural pursuits for eight years. After this he kept a livery stable in Lamar until 1888, when he moved to Polk County, and is now the owner of 495 acres of land, besides other interests in Barton County. He is a Democrat in politics, and is a representative citizen. Mrs. Fisher is a member of the Congregational Church.
W. N. C. C. A FOX
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 643, 644--Polk County Biographies Section
W. N. C. C. A. Fox, one who is successfully engaged in farming and stock raising in Polk County, Mo., and who resides two miles southeast from Fair Play, was born in Polk County, Mo., October 15, 1844, and is the son of Silas and Martha A. (Akard) Fox. The maternal grandfather, who was a native of Germany, emigrated to the United States in childhood, and settled in South Carolina, moving from there to Tennessee. In 1831 he moved to Gasconade County, Mo., in 1832, to Polk County (then Greene County), and died soon after arriving here. The maternal grandmother was a native of South Carolina, and was married in that State. She was the mother of eleven children, four of whom survive. She died October 13, 1869. Silas Fox was born in Williamson County, Tenn., February 4, 1818, and grew to manhood in that county. He removed to Polk County, Mo., with his parents in 1834, and was married to Miss Akard in 1841. He was in the Seminole War a few months, and was also in the Enrolled Missouri Militia during the late unpleasantness. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He died April 4, 1877, at the old homestead, two miles southwest of Fair Play. His wife, Martha A. (Akard) Fox, born March 22, 1822, was a native of Tennessee, and was the daughter of Jonas and Elizabeth (Hopkins) Akard. She came with her parents to Polk County, Mo., when twelve years of age. She was the mother of six children, four now living: William N. C. C. A., Henry C., John A. and James A. The mother of these children died at the old homestead in Polk county, Mo., July 19, 1864. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. W. N. C. C. A. fox grew to manhood in Polk County, Mo., and received a fair education in the common schools. He entered the Missouri State Militia, Company D, Eighth Regiment, March 1, 1862, and served four months and eighteen days, and was in the battle of Humansville; afterwards he served in the Twenty-sixth Enrolled Missouri Militia. After the war he returned home, and entered Bolivar Academy, where he remained one term. He was married July 18, 1868, to Miss Amanda Appleby, and removed to Cedar County, Mo., December 15, 1868, where he remained five years. He then returned to Polk County, Mo., February 13, 1876, and has been a resident of this county ever sine. After leaving Bolivar Academy he taught school for three years. He is a Mason, a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and Union League, also belonging to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Fox was born in Polk County, Mo., November 28, 1845, and is the daughter of James and Nancy (Lane) Appleby. She taught school five years, from 1863 to 1868, and was very successful. There were born to Mr. and Mrs. Fox five children, of whom two, Ida A., born July 13, 1869, died February 9, 1886; Amy J., born January 10, 1871, died July 12, 1887. An infant daughter, born July 13, 1872, died the same day. James E., born September 8, 1874, and Robert S., born November 20, 1880, survive. Mrs. Fox is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as were Ida A. and Amy J.
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 644, 645--Polk County Biographies Section
Moses Gee, one of the leading citizens of Polk County, Mo., was born in Butler County, Ohio, June 14, 1828, being a son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Vanderver) Gee, who were born in Kentucky and Virginia in 1795 and 1810, respectively, and died in Carroll County, Ind., in 1880. They were married and made their home in Ohio until 1831, then went to Indiana and spent their declining years. The father was a farmer the greater portion of his life, but in early life had learned the shoemaker's trade. He was a life-long Democrat. He and wife became the parents of twelve children who lived to be twenty-one years of age, the following of whom are now living: Moses; Alfred, a farmer and blacksmith of Carroll County, Ind.; Nancy Ann, whose husband is a farmer of Carroll County, Ind.; Ellen; Amos, a farmer of Hickory County, Mo.; Andrew and John, both farmers of Carroll County, Ind.; Jane, wife of Lewis Landes; and Charles, of the same county and State. Elizabeth and Benjamin are deceased. Moses Gee remained with his father until twenty-one years of age, then started by ox-team to the "Golden Gate" in search of gold, and was at work in the mines there for four years, accumulating considerable means. He then returned home via the Isthmus of Panama and New York City, and, after farming for some time in Carroll County, Ind., went to Clinton County, of the same State, and in 1880 came to Missouri and located in Polk County. He was married to Catherine Maish in 1858, her father being Samuel Maish, of Pennsylvania, where she was born in 1837. She and Mr. Gee are the parents of five children: Elizabeth, wife of Charles McCollough, a farmer and stock-dealer of Vernon County, Mo.: and Samuel, Anna, Rosa May and John, at home. Benjamin, another son, died in Texas in 1888 at the age of twenty-six years. Mr. Gee is the owner of 300 acres of as good land as there is in Polk County, the result of hard work and good management. He has been a life-long Democrat.
Samuel W. GORDON
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 645, 646--Polk County Biographies Section
Samuel W. Gordon, a successful merchant of Half Way, Mo., is a native of Polk County, and was born on the 12th of February, 1857, being one of ten children, nine of whom are living at this writing, born to James W. and Elizabeth (Benton) Gordon, who were born in Washington County, Ky., and Illinois, respectively. Both were early settlers of Missouri, coming to Cole County with their parents at an early day. Here they married, made their home, and reared their family, and here the father died in 1884, at the age of sixty-two years. His widow continued to reside on the farm until 1886, and since that time has resided in Fort Smith, Ark., with her children. She is an earnest and consistent member of the Missionary Baptist church. The father was a Democrat in politics, and, although he learned the shoemaker's trade in early life, he gave the most of his attention to farming, in which occupation he was quite successful. Samuel W. Gordon received his education in the common schools of Polk County, and , in 1876, left the parental roof to go to the Cherokee Nation, where he was engaged in teaching school for five months, and then, for some time, was engaged in business in Greenwood. The four following months were spent in Johnson County, after which he returned to Polk County, where he has since been occupied in farming and stock trading. In June, 1886, he embarked in the mercantile business in Half Way, keeping an excellent line of goods, which he sells cheap for cash, or exchanges for produce. On the 23d of September, 1884, he was married to Miss Ada Morris, a daughter of William Morris, by whom he has two children: Floyd and Claude. He is treasurer of the I. O. O. F., of which he is a member, and in his political views is a Democrat. He and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. His brothers and sisters are as follows: William J., a carpenter at Buffalo, Dallas County. ; J. N., a farmer and teacher, of Crawford County, Ark.; Emma E., wife of J. W. Davidson, a farmer of Polk County, Mo.; M. W., a resident of Springfield, Mo.; Benjamin S., a stock trader in the Cherokee Nation; Elmore, at Fort Smith, Ark.; Bridge, also at Fort Smith; Rachel, wife of John Boyd, of Crawford County, Ark.; and Elizabeth, at home.
Charles H. GRANT
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 646, 647--Polk County Biographies Section
Charles H. Grant, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Madison Township, residing three miles northwest from Fair Play, Mo., was born April 23, 1839, in Giles County, Tenn. His parents John A. and Ann (Hannah) Grant, were natives of Virginia and Tennessee, respectively; he was born about 1805, and she about 1808 or 1810. They were married near 1836, and the father followed farming, and was also overseer on a plantation in Tennessee until 1854, when he came to Polk County, Mo., and from there to Cedar County in the fall of the same year. Aside from his farming interest, he was also quite a mechanic. He died in the last named county February 8, 1855, and the mother died in Tennessee in 1850. She was of Scotch descent, and a member of the Baptist Church. In their family were seven children, three now living: C. H., J. A., and Martha C. Charles H. Grant came to Missouri with his father in March, 1854, and grew to manhood in Polk County. He attended the common schools of Tennessee for about six years, and this was about all of his schooling. July 6, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Sixteenth Missouri, six months' men, and afterward re-enlisted December 18, 1861 in Company A, Eighth Regiment Missouri State Militia Cavalry and was in the Humansville battle. He was wounded May 20, 1864, in a skirmish by a thirty-eight caliber revolver, the ball entering his left side below the lower lobe of the left lung, and coming out behind the right shoulder. He was laid up for six weeks. For this he receives a pension. He was mustered out January 25, 1865, returned home, purchased a farm, and December 27, 1866, he married Miss Mary M. Frieze, of Polk County, Mo. Eight children were the result of this union, seven now living: Ann E., Cordelia A., Martha R., Ulysses S. A., Hattie R., James W., and Mary J. Mr. Grant is a Republican in politics, and was elected by that party in 1870 to the office of assessor or Polk County, serving two years, and serving as deputy assessor from 1873 to 1878. He also filled the same position in 1880. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, also the G. A. R., and is a member of the Baptist Church, of which he was deacon. He has been a school director most of the time since 1865. John A. Grant, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Ireland, born about 1765, and when a young man came to America. He was in the War of 1812 under Jackson, and died in Tennessee about 1845 or 1846. The paternal grandmother was also of Irish descent, and died in Tennessee a short time previous to the death of her husband. The maternal grandfather, John Hannah, was a native of Scotland, and died in Tennessee previous to 1835. The maternal grandmother also died in that State, several years previous to the death of her husband.
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 647, 648--Polk County Biographies Section
Thomas Greer, another successful farmer, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, -July 19, 1844, and is the second of six children, four now living, two sons and two daughters, born to George and Eliza (Gourley) Greer, both natives of the northern part of Ire- land. The parents were married in their native country and there remained until 1849, when they sailed for America, locating at Philadelphia, Penn. The father was a dyer by trade, which occupation he followed in the old country and also in Philadelphia. In 1856 they emigrated to Boone County, Ill., where he and his sons worked out. Everything was high on account of the Crimean War, but soon however, wheat dropped to thirty-five cents, and money was loaned at twenty per cent. Wishing to find a warmer climate, Mr. Greer and family moved to Polk County, Mo., in February 1860. He and wife were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and he was a Republican in politics. He died in 1887, but the mother is still living and is seventy-six years of age. Thomas Greer was but five years of age when he was brought to America, and he received what education he got in the public schools of Philadelphia. When about eleven years of age he began learning the manufacture of hosiery, and worked at the business for about nine months. After coming with his parents to Missouri he worked by the month for the man who owned the place where our subject is now living. In August, 1861, Mr. Greer enlisted in Company C, Fifteenth . V. S. R. C., Missouri Home Guards service, and was on duty until December. In February, 1862, he enlisted in -Company B, Eighth Missouri State Militia Cavalry, and served three years, but never received a scratch. Returning to his home, he engaged in farming, and in 1874 was elected sheriff of Polk County and served two years. In 1882 he was elected collector and served a term, being elected by the Republican party, with which he affiliates. He is a Knight Templar and also a member of the G. A. R. January 1, 1867, he married Miss Emaline Lower, a native of Roane County, Tenn., born January 18, 1846, and a daughter of George W. and Elvira Lower. To them were born ten children, eight now living- Charles E., Robert A., Alice, Thomas, Naomi, Emma, George, Oliver and Maud. Both Mr. and Mrs. Greer are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Greer owns 230 acres of land with 175 acres under cultivation. He is a wide-awake citizen, and one who is highly respected.
George Washington GRIFFIN
History of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade and Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889 Goodspeed p 648
G. W. Griffin, M. D., practicing physician and surgeon at Fair Play, Polk County, Mo., is a native of Roane County, Tenn., born June 15, 1844, and the son of William and Elizabeth (Harvey) Griffin. William Griffin was born in North Carolina, but grew to manhood in Tennessee, where he married Miss Harvey, after which he emigrated to Missouri in the fall of 1850, and has been a resident of Polk County ever since, residing near Shady Grove, in that county. He served in the Federal Army, Company D, Sixth Missouri Cavalry Volunteers, for three years, and rendered active service for his country. His wife, Elizabeth (Harvey) Griffin, was born in Tennessee, and is still living. They are the parents of eight children. The paternal grandfather was a native of Ireland, and early emigrated to America. The maternal grandfather was a native of England, who emigrated to America, locating in McMinn County, and there passed his last days. Dr. G. W. Griffin passed his boyhood days in Polk County, Mo., received a liberal education, and in July, 1861 enlisted in the Federal service, participating in the battle of Wilson's Creek, the first battle in Southwest Missouri. He was in Company D, Sixth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and served twenty-three months, when on account of disability, he was discharged. He commenced the study of medicine at the age of twenty years, studied under a preceptor for four years, and practiced under him for eleven years. He graduated from the Missouri Medical College with the degree of M. D., and afterward practiced in Hickory County for three years. He then located in Fair Play May 28, 1888, and has been practicing in that city and vicinity ever since. He owns a house and residence in this city, and a farm near Shady Grove. He was married November 12, 1863, to Miss Susan B. McIntosh, who was born January 25, 1845. They have an interesting family of five living children, but have lost three: Ophelia A., Elijah M., Horace E., Buel W. and William C. two children (twins) died in infancy, and one died at the age of fourteen years. Dr. Griffin is a Republican in politics, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is a Third-degree Mason and an Odd Fellow.
Submitted by: Kay Griffin Snow
Top of Page
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 648, 649--Polk County Biographies Section
Green Hadlock, on of the successful tillers of the soil, was born in what is now Tazewell County, Ill., May 18, 1831, and is the second of eight children, six sons and two daughters, born to Samuel and Eliza (Owen) Hadlock, natives, respectively, of New York and Connecticut. The father was born in 1802 and the mother in 1810. When young, they moved with their parents to Ohio, where they attained their growth, were married, and there remained until 1830, when they removed to Woodford County, Ill., and, in 1858, to this county, where they settled on the farm now owned by their son, Green Hadlock. In Illinois Mr. Hadlock ran a mill for about fifteen years, though his chief occupation was farming. Politically he was a Whig, but was afterward a Republican. He was a man very fond of the chase, and quite a successful hunter. He died in 1886, and the mother in 1874. At the age of twenty-one Green Hadlock began for himself, by farming, and this continued for some time. He was married, November 24, 1858, to Miss Maria Gunn, a native of Woodford County, Ill., born March 22, 1835. Her parents came to this State in 1838. To Mr. and Mrs. Hadlock were born nine children, six now living: Owen, H. Clay, Mary A., Clara, Emma, and Effie. During the war Mr. Hadlock served a short time in Company F, Twenty-sixth Missouri Enrolled Militia, and, after serving a month, he was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant. While in Illinois he was revenue collector of his township. He is the owner of 240 acres of land, with 160 under cultivation. When he started out in life he had but little means, but by his own industry he has become one of the substantial farmers of the county. He is a Republican politically, and is a member of the G. A. R.
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 649, 650--Polk County Biographies Section
Jefferson B. Hatler, dealer in hardware, pumps and saddles, at Bolivar, Mo., was born in Greene County, Mo., August 22, 1840, and when five years of age came with his parents to this county. His father, Charles B. Hatler, was a native of West Tennessee, born in 1801, and his mother was born in Kentucky, in 1800. After marriage they moved to Missouri (1832), and settled near Springfield, whence after a residence of about thirteen years, they moved to Polk County, Mo. He was a farmer by occupation; a Whig in his political views, and a member of the Methodist Church, as was also his wife. He lived to be fifty-four years of age, and she, eighty-two. They were the parents of eight children, three of who are now living, all sons. The youngest of this family, Jefferson B. Hatler, received a limited education in the old -time log school-house, and assisted his father on the farm. In June, 1861, he enlisted in Capt. Mitchell's Company of State Militia Cavalry, Confederate Army, and served six months, participation in the battles of Wilson's Creek, Drywood and Lexington. In 1862 he joined the regular Confederate Cavalry, and served until the close of the war, participation in the following battles: Pea Ridge, Corinth, Champion's Hill, Grand Gulf, siege of Vicksburg, before Sherman from Dalton to Atlanta, Altoona and Franklin. At the last-named battle he was captured, taken to Chicago and exchanged in March, 1865. During his service he was three times slightly wounded. He then returned home, and in 1867 was united in marriage to Miss Therese E. Elzey, a native of Bentonville, Ark. Three children are the fruits of this union: Troy C., Benjamin and Zoa. Having farmed until 1882, Mr. Hatler turned his attention to merchandising at Slagle, Polk County, and in 1885, he moved to Bolivar, where he has a good business. In politics, he affiliates with the Democratic party. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the A. O. U. W. Mrs. Hatler is a member of the Baptist Church.
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 650, 651--Polk County Biographies Section
Henry Ham, now seventy-three years of age, one of the prominent farmers and stock-raisers of Johnson Township, Polk County, Mo., and one of the old and much-esteemed citizens of the county, was born September 6, 1816, and is the son of John and Mary (Dibret) Ham, both natives of Maryland, where they grew up and married. The father was a soldier in the War of 1812, was a tanner by trade, and, after moving to London, Ohio, he still continued his trade. To his marriage were born eleven children, two now living. The paternal grandfather, Peter Ham, was a native of Pennsylvania, and moved to Maryland, where he followed the tanner's trade for many years. He died in that State. The great-grandfather Ham was a native of Germany, who emigrated to America at an early day, and settled at Germantown. The maternal grandfather of our subject was a native of Germany, and emigrated to America, where he passed his declining years. He was a cooper by trade. Henry Ham left Maryland at ten years of age and went to Ohio, where he grew to manhood. He was married there to Miss D. J. Gragg, who bore him two children, both deceased, and his wife also is deceased. After her death he went to Illinois, remaining ther ten years, and then, in 1860, came to Missouri, bought a farm, and engaged in agricultural pursuits. Eight years later he settled on his present farm, where he has remained ever since, and where he has 1,100 acres of land. He also owns a house and lot in Bolivar, valued at $600, besides possessing $2,000 worth of personal property. His second marriage was to Miss Mary Watson, who bore him one child, John H. After her death he married Miss Mary J. Kennedy, and one child, Martha J., was the result of this union. He is a Republican in politics, and his first vote for President was for Henry Clay. Mrs. Ham is the daughter of John Y. and Martha P. (Dunnegan) Kennedy, both natives of Tennessee, and both died in Cedar County, Mo. They were the parents of ten children. After marriage Mr. Kennedy moved to Missouri, locating in Morgan County, but moved to Cedar County, afterward to Polk County, and then to Dade County. He died in Cedar County in 1875, and was sixty-three years of age. The paternal grandfather of Mrs. Ham was a pioneer of Missouri from Tennessee, and her maternal grandfather settled in Polk County, Mo., near Dunnegan Spring, and it was after that family the spring was named. Mrs. Ham, received her education at an early day, and taught eleven terms of school in Cedar County. She owns forty acres of land in that county, and is an intelligent, well-educated lady. She was married at the age of thirty-nine years.
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 651, 652--Polk County Biographies Section
Dr. Caleb N. Headlee, one of the most eminent physicians of Polk County, Mo., has been in active practice at Pleasant Hope since about 1865. His birth occurred in Maury County, Tenn., June 27, 1827, being one of four surviving members of a family of nine children, eight of whom lived to maturity, born to the marriage of Caleb Headlee and Mary Steele, who were born in North Carolina and died in Missouri in 1847, when about sixty-five years of age, and in 1867, aged nearly ninety years, respectively. They were married in the "Old North State," and were among the early emigrants to Giles County, Tenn., soon after moving to Maury County. Both were members of the Methodist Church, and took great interest in church affairs. The father was a veteran in the War of 1812, and, while a resident of Tennessee, held the office of justice of the peace for a number of years. He was of Welsh descent, and throughout life followed the occupation of agriculture. His father, Elisha Headlee, was born in New Jersey, but died in Greene County, Mo., at the extreme old age of ninety years. Mrs. Mary (Steele) Headlee was a daughter of Samuel Steele, a native of Pennsylvania, and was of Irish descent, her father having been born in the "Emerald Isle." Dr. Caleb N. Headlee, the subject of this memoir, received his education in Tennessee and Missouri, and at the time of his father's death was eighteen years of age. From that time until 1860 he farmed on his own account, and at the latter date crossed the plains to California, and, after successfully mining there for several years, he returned to Greene County, Mo., via the Isthmus of Panama and New Orleans. Soon after his return he began the study of medicine under his brother, E. B. Headlee, and in 1859 went to Marion County, Ark., where he continued to practice five years, then came to Springfield, Mo. After a short time he located at Pleasant Hope, where he has won an enviable reputation as a medical practitioner. In 1880 he began selling drugs, but after a short time sold out his stock, only to re-engage in the occupation soon after, and continued until his building caught fire and was consumed. He is now selling drugs again, and is doing a good business. May 10, 1849, he was married to Dovey L. Armour, a daughter of Washington and Nancy S. Armour. She was born in Giles County, Tenn., about 1830, and is the mother of five children, all of whom are living: Victory J., Mary O., Melville P., Nancy L. and Arminein. Mrs. Headlee is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and in his political views the Doctor is a Democrat. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity. His brothers and sisters are: Jane L Foster, of St. Louis; Marthy L. Clark, of Grayson County, Texas; Samuel W., of Greene County, Mo., a farmer, who is now representing that county in the State Legislature.
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 652--Polk County Biographies Section
William J. Hensley, general merchant, and a member of the hardware firm of Hensley & Kinder, at Aldrich, Mo., was born March 13, 1846, on his father's old homestead, near Shady Grove, in Polk County. He is the son of James M. and Frances J. (Brown) Hensley, and grandson of Benjamin Hensley, who was born probably in South Carolina. He was with Gen. Washington in the Revolutionary War, and suffered greatly for want of food. He was also in the War of 1812, under Jackson, and after that war he returned to Tennessee, and continued his occupation of farming. He emigrated to Polk County, Mo., about 1840, moved to Cedar County in 1854 or 1855, and died in that county about 1861-62. The paternal grandmother was a native of one of the Carolinas, and died in Polk County, Mo., in 1848, or 1850. The maternal grandparents were natives of Tennessee, and emigrated to Polk County, Mo., at an early date. Here the grandfather died in the forties, and the grandmother in the fifties. James M. Hensley, father of our subject, was born in East Tennessee, in 1821, and grew to manhood in his native State. At the age of nineteen or twenty he came with his parents to Polk County, Mo., and here followed farming. He was married to Miss Frances J. Brown, about 1845, and during the war entered the Missouri State Militia under Capt. Delaplaine, and served about one year. He is now living near Bolivar, and enjoys very good health. He is a member of the Christian Church. He was the father of nine children, eight now living. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church, is still living, but does not have very good health. William J. Hensley is the eldest of the children born to his parents. He attained his majority in Polk County, and in boyhood attended the district schools. He moved with his parents to Cedar County, in about 1855, but returned to the former county with his parents in 1862. During the late war he enlisted in Capt. Delaplaine's company, and served three months, after which he returned home and married Miss Sarah C. Croft, of Polk County. She was born February 17, 1842, in Dade County, and is the daughter of Gillis G. and Mary (Bridges) Croft. To Mr. and Mrs. Hensley were born five children, all living: Mary J. (now Mrs. Brown), John W., Alice E., Florence and Nettie. After marriage Mr. Hensley settled on a farm near Bolivar, where he remained until 1884, when he moved to Shady Grove, where he was engaged in mercantile business. He was also postmaster at this place. In 1887 he moved to Aldrich, where he has since been engaged in his present business. He is a Republican in politics, and his wife is a member of the Christian Church.
JAMES AND MARY SMITHWICK HARDISON
James Hardison, born in Martin Co., NC in 1759, married Mary Smithwick, about 1804-08. James, who served as a private in the North Carolina Line in the Revolution under Captains Jones, Hardison and Evans and Colonels Eaton, Hill and Stitt, was married first to Mary Roberson, , daughter of James and Charlotte Reeves Robason/Roberson, also of Martin County, in 1789. They had eight children:
Thomas (17 Nov 1789-5 Dec 1856)
Margaret (17 May 1791-bef. 1841), m. Nathaniel Woolard
William (17 Nov 1793-26 Oct 1830)
Charles (16 Aug 1795-4 Oct 1878), m. Hannah Daniel (15 May 1802-9 Oct 1878)
Frances "Fannie," born 16 July 1798, m. ? Davidson
Joel, M.D. (5/15 Aug 1800-17 Dec 1873), m. Jane Howe Long (6 Feb 1800-11 May 1884), dau. David and Mary Howe Long , on 17 Dec 1873
Delilah , 22 July 1802, m. BRACKETT DAVISON on 3 Aug 1817
Humphrey (18 Aug 1804-15 Oct 1874), m. Harriet Woolard (19 July 1806-11 Nov 1850) dau. Silas and Lucretia Woolard on 6 March 1826.
Mary Smithwick was of an old North Carolina family, who were government and church leaders, beginning in Chowan County, NC in the latter part of the 17th Century. Mary's ancestor is probably Hugh Smithwick, assumed to be the progenitor of the North Carolina Smithwicks, who was said to have settled in the area of Old Albemarle County about 1643.
James and Mary Smithwick Hardison moved with their children to Maury County about 1812-14 and took up land on Flat Creek, near where Jacob Derryberry and David Long had settled earlier.
James and Mary Smithwick Hardison had children:
Ezra, born 1809, m. Serena Derryberry
Penelope (27 April 1810-9 Sept 1861), m. Ira Hardison (12 May 1806 - 30 Sept 1875).
Ira was the son of Edward and Millie Stubbs Hardison.
Asa, born 1813, m. Mary A. Dickson
Richard Bates (1816-1861), m. Nancy Catherine Sowell (11 Aug 1826 - 31 Dec 1883).
Catherine m. (2) James P. Daniel (13 Jan 1836-29 Feb 1920)
James Y. (12 July 1818-14 Dec 1916), m. Dorothea Jane "Dolly" Fonville (15 Mar 1823 - 10 Apr 1904)
Iva, m. Gabriel Long Morton.
Dorothea (Dolly) was the daughter of Asa and Dorothy Stephenson Fonville of Bedford and Marshall Counties, TN. Asa was the son of Revolutionary soldier, Francis Marion Fonville of New Bern, Craven Co., NC, and Sarah Bright, daughter of Revolutionary soldier, Simon Bright. Dorothy was the daughter of Revolutionary soldier, Silas Stephenson.
Francis, who family legend says was one of Gen. Lafayette's interpreters during the Revolution, was the son of John Fonville (II) and Elizabeth Brousse/Brice, daughter of French Huguenot Jacques Brousse of New Bern, NC. John (II) was the son of Huguenot immigrant to Mannikintowne, VA, Jean/John Fonville, and Francoise Larry of La Rochelle, France. They married in London and departed for Virginia on the ship Mary Ann in 1699. (Information on Huguenot Jean Fonville can be found in The Douglas Register and Turff and Twigg.)
James Y. and Dolly Fonville Hardison were married about 1841 in Maury Co., TN. Their children were:
Endora Desdemona, born 1842
Eugenia Frances "Fannie" (25 June 1844-8 Mar 1938), m. William Alexander Derryberry (11 Dec 1842-15 Jan 1924)
Enzede T., born 1847
Zachary Taylor (Nov 1849-06 Mar 1930), m. Mattie (S.E.?) Holcomb, dau. of P.M. and Olivia Wilkins Holcomb
Mary, born 1851
Parilee, born 1855
Alice, born 1857
James Y. and Dolly Hardison are buried in the James Y. Hardison Cemetery, one mile off Bear Creek Rd., on Blackburn Lane, at the edge of Ulna Harmon's front yard.
Fannie married William A. Derryberry on Christmas Eve, 1865, after he had recovered from wounds he received in the Civil War. Both of them are buried in the Old Jacob Derryberry Cemetery / Derryberry-Hardison Cemetery at the intersection of Joe Brown and New Lasea Roads in Maury County.
Submitted by: Audrey
106 Robin Lane SE
Huntsville, AL 35802
Return To Top of Page
Source: Goodspeed History of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade & Barton Counties, Missouri. Published by Goodspeed Pub. Co. Chicago, 1889.
Biographies of Polk County, pg. 656
Archibald Hopper, farmer and stock-raiser of Johnson Township, Polk County, Mo., was born in Marshall County, Tenn., in 1823 and is the son of Charles Hopper, who was born in North Carolina, but who emigrated to Tennessee, locating in Bedford County, and there passed the remainder of his life. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and drew a land warrant. He was married to Miss Susan Penn, also a native of North Carolina, and to them were born four children, Archibald Hopper being the youngest child and only son. Mrs. Hopper died in Texas, whither she had gone with some of her children. The paternal grandmother was born in North Carolina, and at an early date moved to Missouri, where she died. The subject of this sketch grew to manhood in Tennessee, was married there to Miss Margaret Gibbons, a native of Tennessee, who bore him two children there, and later became the mother of ten children, viz.: Andrew M., died at the age of twenty-one years; Elizabeth M., wife of John Heard; Sarah C. F. and Charles H. (twins); Nancy J. Fox died at the age of thirty-five years; Thomas; Susan C., wife of C.C. Ayers; James A.; Alvin W., died at the age of sixteen years; America E., wife of Henry C. Maxwell; Henry S.; and Margaret, wife of John Penman. The mother of these children died in 1864, and Mr. Hopper then married Mrs. Harriet A. (Rule) Mitchell, and three children were born to this union, Harriet L., wife of J. G. Walker; Tennessee, died in infancy, and Ollie died at the age of three years. Mrs. Harriet Hopper died in 1870, and Mr. Hopper married Miss Mary E. Mitchell, but no relative of the former family of Mitchells, in 1871. Mr. Hopper came to Missouri March 28, 1847, and raised the first crop where Humansville is now located. The next year he entered fifty acres of land, settled on the same, and here he has remained ever since. During the Civil War he enlisted in the Union army, in Company C, Eighth Missouri State Militia, and was in service about two years. He was appointed constable of Johnson Township, and, in order to fill the office, was discharged from regular service. He has been road overseer of the township for two years, and overseer of one-half the township once since. He has an excellent farm of 205 acres, also raises stock, and is one of the first-class farmers of the county, his property being the result of his own exertions. He is a Master Mason, a Republican, and is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Submitted by: Lorrey Calderin firstname.lastname@example.org
Return To Top of Page
ALTHA GREGORY HUDSON
From the Humansville Star-Leader, Vol. 33, No. 29, Humansville, Polk County, Missouri, Wednesday, December 1, 1909
When the usual time alloted to man is three score years and ten, it is something unusual for a man to reach the age of 96 years, but such is the case with A. G. Hudson (Atha Gregory) of this city. On last Thursday, November 25, "Uncle Waxey" celebrated the advent of his berth with an excellent dinner and a most enjoyable day.
Most every one has many things for which they are thankful and we believe "Uncle Waxey and Grandma" (Catherine Lander Hudson) have more than most people. They have been married over 72 years, both have exceptionally good health for people so old, every one has a kind word for them and their friends are legion. How grand it must be to live to such a ripe old age under such conditions.
"Uncle Waxey" says he is going to live to be 100 and we earnestly hope the old gentlemen's desire to do so will be fulfilled. (He lived to be 99 1/2)
Submitted by: Ginette VandenOever
Return To Top of Page
Printed in The Press Dispatch/Victorville and Barstow, Calif. p. B2
Leone Jungers, 88, died at Antelope Valley Convalescent Hospital, Lancaster, CA on September 15, 1997. She was born near Bolivar, Missouri, on December 21, 1908. She moved to CA in 1923 and to Hesperia in 1951, where she lived for 45 years, until she moved to Lancaster, CA. She was a member of the Jedediah Smith Chapter, NSDAR and of the Hesperia Leisure League. She was a homemaker. Survivors include a sister, Jessie Cooper of Banning, CA; four children, Joseph Cottrell and Lorraine Cottrell Moffat of Hesperia, CA; Lola M. Cottrell Bower of Roseville, CA; and Robert D. Jungers of Rosamond, CA. She also leaves ten grandchildren: Elizabeth A. Cottrell and Sarah A. Cottrell of Hesperia, CA; Jeffery Moffat of Cobb Mountain, CA; Janet Moffat Walker of Littleton, CO; Theresa Bower Wakefield of Grass Valley, CA; Lawrence Bower of Petaluma, CA; Terri Jungers Gonzalez of Boron, CA; Steven Jungers of North Edwards, CA; Lori A. Jungers Espinoza of Cerritos, CA; and Gregory Jungers of California City, CA; and 22 great-grandchildren and 1 great-greatv grandchild.
Funeral services were Friday 9/19/97. Burial was in Victor Valley Memorial Park in Victorville. Victor Valley Mortuary handled the arrangements.
Submitted by: Lorraine Moffat Return To Top of Page
FRANCIS A. KNIGHT
Printed in the Bolivar Free Press, September 1907
On September 28, 1907, God in His infinite wisdom saw fit to call our beloved grandfather, Francis A. Knight, from the labors of earth to the home of everlasting joy and peace. He was born in Jessamine County, Ky. October 5, 1812, being 94 years, 11 months and 19 days old at the time of his death. He was the father of seven children, five of whom survive him. His first wife was Elizabeth Thornton. They were married in 1832. Robert, te oldest son, is 78 years old and lives at Hoisington, Kas; Elizabeth (Mrs. Jas. Grooms) is dead; Margaret (Mrs. Eli Moffitt) is 66 and lives near Halfway, Mo. His second wife was Mrs. Mary Pierce. He had three children by her, viz: Mrs. Jennie Stewart of Seymore, Ind., and Hardin and John Knight, both of West Baden, Ind. He was a loving and devoted father to his children, his last wife having been dead for several years. His home was in Indiana until a short time ago when he came to Polk County, Mo. to live with his daughter, Mrs. Eli Moffitt. He professed a hope in Christ several years ago and died in full triumph of a living faith. He was always ready with a word of Christian love and kindness, counsel and advice for both young and old. He was ready and willing to go, but oh! how lonely the home is without him - to know his place is forever vacant. We know it is so hard to part with loved ones, but we humbly submit to the will of God who doeth all things well. To the bereaved family we would say, "Put your trust in God and all will be well." The funeral services were conducted by Rev. G. H. Higginbotham and the remains were laid to rest in the Goff cemetery, there to await the great resurrection.
Thy former home is sad,
Now that thy voice is hushed,
And hearts that loved thee O, so well,
By grief are well nigh crushed.
God in His wisdom has recalled
The boon his love had given;
And though the body molders here,
the soul is safe in heaven.
Submitted by: Lorraine Moffat Return To Top of Page
This page was last updated on 24 November 2000
Return to the Polk County Page
Anne Hood Ann Arbor MI
Information submitted will remain the property of the submitter.