Please send biographies and obituaries of your Polk County ancestors for entry in this section.  If necessary, they will be edited for length and grammatical errors before inclusion.  E-mail them to Kay Griffin Snow.

Back to Polk County                                   Back to Bio--Obit Index

Leone Jungers

Francis A. Knight

Obituary of Martha Manual

Obituary of Mrs.Mary L. Manual

Obituary of Rev. James Mitchell


Morris W. Mitchell


Rev. Thomas W. Mitchell


Mrs. Katherine Opatrny

Obituary of Enos Pickering

Benjamin F. Robertson






Printed in The Press Dispatch/Victorville and Barstow, Calif. p. B2

Leone Jungers, 88, died at Antelope Valley Convalescent Hospital, Lancaster, CA on September 15, 1997. She was born near Bolivar, Missouri, on December 21, 1908. She moved to CA in 1923 and to Hesperia in 1951, where she lived for 45 years, until she moved to Lancaster, CA. She was a member of the Jedediah Smith Chapter, NSDAR and of the Hesperia Leisure League. She was a homemaker. Survivors include a sister, Jessie Cooper of Banning, CA; four children, Joseph Cottrell and Lorraine Cottrell Moffat of Hesperia, CA; Lola M. Cottrell Bower of Roseville, CA; and Robert D. Jungers of Rosamond, CA. She also leaves ten grandchildren: Elizabeth A. Cottrell and Sarah A. Cottrell of Hesperia, CA; Jeffery Moffat of Cobb Mountain, CA; Janet Moffat Walker of Littleton, CO; Theresa Bower Wakefield of Grass Valley, CA; Lawrence Bower of Petaluma, CA; Terri Jungers Gonzalez of Boron, CA; Steven Jungers of North Edwards, CA; Lori A. Jungers Espinoza of Cerritos, CA; and Gregory Jungers of California City, CA; and 22 great-grandchildren and 1 great-greatv grandchild.

Funeral services were Friday 9/19/97. Burial was in Victor Valley Memorial Park in Victorville. Victor Valley Mortuary handled the arrangements.

Submitted by: Lorraine Moffat                Return To Top of Page


Printed in the Bolivar Free Press, September 1907

   On September 28, 1907, God in His infinite wisdom saw fit to call our beloved grandfather, Francis A. Knight, from the labors of earth to the home of everlasting joy and peace. He was born in Jessamine County, Ky. October 5, 1812, being 94 years, 11 months and 19 days old at the time of his death. He was the father of seven children, five of whom survive him. His first wife was Elizabeth Thornton. They were married in 1832. Robert, te oldest son, is 78 years old and lives at Hoisington, Kas; Elizabeth (Mrs. Jas. Grooms) is dead; Margaret (Mrs. Eli Moffitt) is 66 and lives near Halfway, Mo. His second wife was Mrs. Mary Pierce. He had three children by her, viz: Mrs. Jennie Stewart of Seymore, Ind., and Hardin and John Knight, both of West Baden, Ind. He was a loving and devoted father to his children, his last wife having been dead for several years. His home was in Indiana until a short time ago when he came to Polk County, Mo. to live with his daughter, Mrs. Eli Moffitt. He professed a hope in Christ several years ago and died in full triumph of a living faith. He was always ready with a word of Christian love and kindness, counsel and advice for both young and old. He was ready and willing to go, but oh! how lonely the home is without him - to know his place is forever vacant. We know it is so hard to part with loved ones, but we humbly submit to the will of God who doeth all things well. To the bereaved family we would say, "Put your trust in God and all will be well." The funeral services were conducted by Rev. G. H. Higginbotham and the remains were laid to rest in the Goff cemetery, there to await the great resurrection.

Thy former home is sad,
Now that thy voice is hushed,
And hearts that loved thee O, so well,
By grief are well nigh crushed.

God in His wisdom has recalled
The boon his love had given;
And though the body molders here,
the soul is safe in heaven.

Submitted by: Lorraine Moffat       Return To Top of Page

Martha Manuel

Martha Manuel, born 26, January 1839 in Tennessee and died Nov. 9, 1922 at the home of her daughter Mrs. Griffin. She was married in 1859 to her first husband Bill Vaughn and her second husband was Isaac Brown.

She came to Missouri with her parents and spent most of her life in Polk County. She had three children, but only one, Mrs. Kate Griffin, survives her. Her husband was killed during the Civil War. She later married Isaac Brown and they had three children, W. H. Brown of Bolivar, John Brown of Ventura, California and Hillery Brown of Fair Play. She has two half brothers, R. L. Manuel of Clinton, Missouri and F. S. Manuel of Fair Play. Two sisters and five brothers have preceded her in death.

She was a member of the Shady Grove Church and was 83 years, 9 months and 13 days at the time of her death.

Funeral Services were conducted by Rev. Cook of Bolivar with burial beside her father in Barren Creek Cemetery.

From a handwritten copy to Aunt Ruby Ethel Carter.

Transcribed by Donnell Wisniewski April 21, 1999


At 2:30 a. m. last Thursday, Nov. 10, Mrs. Mary L. Manuel quietly passed into the Great Beyond. She had not enjoyed good health for seventeen months and had never been free from suffering. She had a steadfast faith in God and talked much concerning life after death. She made all arrangements for her funeral in detail.

On Feb. 12, 1922, she dictated facts concerning her life as follows: "Mary Louise Watson was born Nov. 13, 1860, in Roane County near Loudon, Tenn.

"In 1876 she was converted at the old Mount Zion church near Aldrich under the preaching of Rev. George Kelley.

"She was married to James Lafayette Manuel April 2, 1889. To this union seven children were born: Ida Ethyl, Robert Amzy, Sarah Elizabeth, Dessa Jane, Mary Louise, Lafa Ann, and Wellington Sigle. Ida Ethyl departed this life Feb. 7, 1892, Mary Louise Oct. 1, 1904, and her husband Feb. 17, 1913."

Survivors in her immediate family are: R. A. Manuel and Mrs. A. E. Utterback of Ojai, Calif., Mrs. Elmer Brown of Bolivar, Mo., and Dessa and Toby of the home. All the children were at her bedside when the end came.

She is also survived by three grandchildren, Ferrell and Helen Louise Utterback and Charles Manuel of Ojai, Calif.; one brother C. L. Watson of Aldrich, Mo.; and one sister, Mrs. J. W. Stevens of Aldrich, Mo.

Although her entire life had been spent in caring for others, and she could not enjoy many of the pleasures in this life, she often told her family and friends that she was going to a beautiful home where her troubles would all be over.

Two nephews, the Rev. W. O. Watson, pastor of the First Methodist Church in Eudora, Kan.., and the Rev. W. L. Watson, pastor of the Connor Avenue Baptist Church in Joplin, Mo., had charge of the funeral services, which were held at 2 o'clock, Friday afternoon, Nov. 11, at the Barren Creek Church west of Bolivar, Mo. Burial was in the Barren Creek Cemetery under the direction of Hutcheson-Blue of Bolivar.

Transcribed from copied newspaper obituary by Donnell Wisniewski on April 21, 1999.

Obituary of Rev. James Mitchell

In Memoriam

Rev. James Mitchell, the subject of this sketch, died at the residence of his son, Judge Benjamin C. Mitchell, near Morrisville, Polk County, Mo., on the 28th of June, 1876. His birth was on October 29th, 1786, in what was then known as Knox, now Green County, East Tennessee. He was the son of Morris and Elizabeth (Hoosong) Mitchell, his father being a local preacher and his mother a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They reared their son under pious influences, but he delayed his return to God till his twenty-first year, when under the ministry of Rev. James Axley, he was powerfully converted. It was soon discovered that God designed him for the ministry. He was accordingly licensed to exhort by Thomas Trower, on the 17th of March, 1810, and licensed to preach on the 5th of April, 1813, by Rev. James Axley. In due course of time he was ordained Deacon by Bishop Roberts, and on the 13th of November, 1831, he was ordained Elder by Bishop Hedding.

The Bible, Fletcher's Checks, Wesley's Notes, Clarke's Commentary with the Church papers, formed the staple of his reading through his long and useful life. A few days before his last sickness, I paid him a visit, found him comfortably seated in a chair, and in answer to an inquiry as to his health, his reply was, "first rate". He was unusually cheerful during the day. Among other things, he gave me one item in his early experience, as follows: He said when first impressed that it was his duty to preach, he was greatly distressed, being unlearned. Poor and exceedingly timorous, he knew not what to do, but was finally driven to the extremity of forming a vow to the Lord, that if he would excuse him from itinerating, he would preach as a local preacher, and at such times and places as no one else could or would; and if the Lord blessed him with children he would rear them for God. And said he, "I kept my vow and in their infancy dedicated each of my children in prayer and baptism; and the Lord blessed me and accepted them, and has preserved them as his own to this day."

To show how he impressed others and the esteem in which he was held, I wish to insert the following: In 1872, during a District Conference near his residence, he not being able to attend, there was a committee appointed to bear him the sympathies and kindly regards of the Conference. W. M.

Prottsman, being one of the committee, wrote and had published a communication relative to this man of God, and among other things, he says of him and his example and influence upon his family: "So closely were the example and practice and the doctrines and precepts which he taught, that of the large family of children with which he was blessed (fourteen in number), just fourteen were members of his own Church." Here is an example worthy of any man's serious reflection.

Three of his sons were called of God to preach the Gospel. His sons who have not devoted themselves to preaching have all filled honorable places in society and official and useful places in the church. His daughters have all bee the development of the doctrines and precepts of the father, and have given their influence and their children to the Church. His grandchildren are not only taking useful and influential positions as members of the church, but some of them too are preachers of the Gospel. Truly here is a patriarch sitting amid a household of trophies gathered from the field of moral conflict.

We dare not praise while life says the labors of the man of God are not yet ended, but we confess to a feeling of veneration when in the presence of such a man that seems struggling within us for utterance , and we could not get away from the impression that his home was "none other than the house of God", and we said, surely the Lord is in his place. Once a man and twice a child; but Father Mitchell was not in second childhood. In our interview with him not a word escaped him that evinced the least weakening of intellect. His mind lost none of its strength; even memory was fresh as morning, and the intellectual of the man was that heavenly mindedness which is the uniting link between doctrinal and practical piety – the result of the voluntary surrender of the whole man to God. In the physical man there was perfection; tall, but graceful in form and commanding in appearance. Take him as a citizen and a Christian, there was great resemblance in his character; and by the grace of God, he attained life's noblest end. This is a long extract, but so in place, that I could not but give.

Our friend and father came with his family to Southwest Missouri in the year 1834. He at once commenced preaching to the few settlers then there, with great zeal and efficiency, often being the first to carry the Gospel to newly formed communities. He had due respect always for the preachers in charge and the presiding Elders sent by his Bishop, and even cooperated with them. His last sermon was preached some years ago when Dr. Keener was his pastor. He read the 25th Chapter of St. Matthew without a book, then read the last verse as his text. His sermon was short but the effect was wonderful. Many came to the altar and a number were powerfully converted. Christians shouted aloud for joy. Time before this, by a fall, he was made a cripple for life. His last sickness was flux; lingering a few days with but little suffering, he fell on sleep, having every comfort that friends and the grace of God could give.

We in sadness, and amid many friends and tears, buried him at Mitchell's campground, beside the wife of his early love, and the mother of all his children. Let them sleep in peace.

-- Rev. George Mitchell Winton

Submitted by: Don Mitchell                                        Return to Top of Page


(9th child of the Rev. Jesse Mitchell)

SOURCE: Centennial Volume of Missouri Methodism, page 290

His grandparents, Morris and Elizabeth Mitchell, moved from East Tennessee in pioneer days, about 1835. They were Methodists, true and tried. His grandfather was a local preacher. His father and mother, Jesse and Providence Mitchell, came a little later and settled in Polk County, near Morrisville, Missouri. Morrisville College has been supported and patronized largely by the younger generations. His father was a Methodist preacher and was serving Stockton Circuit, Cedar County, Missouri, at the time of his death in 1854. He is the youngest of fifteen children, and was born June 24th, 1843. He was baptized in infancy and converted when nine years old.

He worked on a farm in summer and attended school during winter. In his eleventh year his father died, and hence education was limited. Then the war between the states broke on his young life. He, with three older brothers, numerous relations, and many comrades, cast their lot with what prove to be the 'Lost Cause'. Somehow, down in his heart, he hopes that all was not lost. The bright, patriotic lives that went down on both sides surely were not sacrificed for naught; some where, some way, some day, we shall understand. He lost a limb at the Battle of Corinth in 1862, and he passed through the Blackwater and Vicksburg engagements a cripple.

In September, 1863, he returned to Missouri, and entered active business life. Soon the Church of his father and mother and his God took him up, and he was a layman in the Methodist Episcopal Church until 1891. His Presiding Elder, Rev. E. K. Miller, D.D., at the death of his pastor, Rev. M. R. Jones, put James A. in charge of the home circuit, Renick, Missouri. He served until the Quarterly meeting without license, except the command of Dr. Miller. Then he was licensed, recommended and admitted on trial, and made pastor of Durham and Maywood Circuit; three years. Since then he served Monroe City Circuit, two years; then Humphreys Circuit, three years; Chillicothe Circuit. one year; Mt. Olive Circuit, three years; Norborne Circuit, two years, and DeWitt Circuit, two years. The Conference has been good to him, he says; God is, and always has been good to him. His loving kindness and providence has been lavishly bestowed upon him, he writes. He loves the Church and his brother man, but he loves his Lord and His work best of all. He has witnessed many happy conversions, and not only ministered to, but has ministered unto, by the Church of God.

Brother Mitchell was devoted to his wife. who departed this life some years ago. His children are Professor Percy Norwood Mitchell, Miss Edna Mitchell and Miss Willie May Mitchell.

Submitted by: Don Mitchell                         Return To Top of Page



Goodspeed's History of Polk & Cedar Counties -- late 1800s

(Biographical Appendix)

Rev. Jesse Mitchell

In early boyhood he became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and afterward became an ordained minister in the Church in Polk Co., Mo., where he arrived in June 11, 1836. He was among the early settlers of the county, and died in 1854, having charge of the Stockton circuit at the time of his death. His father, Morris Mitchell, was also a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and came to Polk Co. in 1835, where he and his wife spent their declining years.

His wife, Providence (Norwood) Mitchell, was born in Tennessee in 1800, and died in Polk Co., Mo. about 1884, having been a devoted member of the Church for many years. Their union resulted in the birth of fourteen children.

Methodist Episcopal Church Newsletter, St. Louis, MO (Obituaries & Death Notices 1855)

MITCHELL, Rev., Jesse, son of Rev. Morris & Elizabeth Mitchell, was born 8 March 1798, and in 1843, he was licensed to preach and was employed as a local preacher to travel the Greenfield, Buffalo, & Springfield circuits. In 1851 he was appointed to the Fremont Circuit. He died at home on the 12th of August, 1854. Buried near his home in Polk Co., Mo.

Funeral preached by D.A. Leeper.

Submitted by: Don Mitchell                                         Return To Top of Page

Morris W. Mitchell (son #2 of the Rev. Jesse Mitchell)

'Goodspeeds History of Polk/Cedar Counties -- late 1800s' (Cedar County -- Biographical Appendix)

Morris W. Mitchell [born July 1, 1821, Blount Co. Tenn.], the second of the family, and, after residing with his parents until twenty-seven years of age, in 1846, he enlisted in Company H, Willick's Battery, to serve in the Mexican War.

After his return to Polk Co., MO., the 28th of September, 1848, he married Miss Mary Jane Lindley, who was born 7-5-1831. Her parents, John and Mary Lindley, came to Missouri two years after her birth (1833), and there the father was shot, in 1863, while sowing wheat.

In 1850 Mr. Mitchell started for the gold fields of California with an oxen team and reached his journey's end at the end of four months and ten days. After being engaged in mining in that State for two years, he returned to his family in Missouri, and here he has ever since made his home. He owns 600 acres of land near Jerico Springs, but since 1884, has given up farm work. He is an influential citizen, well-to-do, and is a stockholder in the Jerico Bank. He is a Democrat in politics, and has held the following offices:

County Sheriff
ex-officio collector of the county
County Assessor (two years)
census taker (one year)

He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1860, and since ten years of age has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which his wife is also a member.

Submitted by: Don Mitchell                   Return To Top of Page

Rev. Thomas W. Mitchell

(son #5 of the Rev. James Mitchell)

SOURCE: 'Annals of Methodism in Missouri -- 78 years of History'

Published: 1893 Author: W. S. Woodard Page 143
Thomas W. Mitchell was the son, grandson, and brother of Methodist preachers. He was born April 15, 1816, professed religion and joined the church in his eleventh year; licensed to preach while in his twenty-first year. This was done at what is now Mitchell Camp Ground, Polk County, Missouri, by the first quarterly Conference of the year (1837) (Methodist Episcopal Church - South). The last quarterly Conference, held at Ebenezer, recommended him to the annual Conference with E. Robberson.

He traveled New Madrid, Waynsville, and Niangua circuits (all in Missouri), and located in 1840, having that year married Miss Mary B. Robertson. He was re-admitted into the Indian Mission Conference in 1846. In 1847, we find him on the Bolivar Circuit (Mo.), but transferred back to the Indian Mission Conference in 1848, where he wrought ten years, then came back for a season. Soon after the Civil War, he was sent back among the Indians whom he had served so long, so faithfully, and so well, to finish the work of his life.

While traveling the Creek District, the summons came, when surrounded by the red men of the wild West. At Ocmulgee, March 17, 1872, he laid down his armor and exchanged the Cross for the Crown, "breathed his life out sweetly there", and was buried by those who loved him so well.
Asleep in Jesus! Far from thee
Thy kindred and their graves may be;
But thine is still a blessed sleep,
From which none ever wakes to weep.

Mr. Mitchell also traveled three years in the Trinity Conference and was superannuated three years. He was a good, conscientious, faithful, useful man.

Submitted by: Don Mitchell                             Return To Top of Page


Printed in the Bolivar Free Press, September 1907

On the evening of April 12, 1912, the death angel crept silently into our home and took from our midst our beloved father. Eli Moffitt was born in Orange County, Ind., August 14, 1834. He was married to Margrete Knight in the year of 1859. To this union were born nine children, seven of whom are living. He moved to Polk County, Mo., in 1882, where he resided until his death. He served in the Company K, 53 regiment of Indiana, Civil War under Lut. Ebenezer Knyt. He was with Sherman in the "march to the sea." He was discharged in 1865 on account of his eyes, which were blinded with sand and dust in this long walk. Hre was totally blind for eight long years, but was never known to murmur. He leaves an aged companion, seven children, twenty-three grandchildren, four great-grand children, one sister and two brothers, a host of friends to mourn our loss. Grandpa was a kind and loving father, loved by all who knew him. It was his greatest pleasure to help the poor and needy. He will be greatly missed, especially by his companion, who is left to fight life's battle alone. Oh, how feeble are words to carry consolation to hearts bereaved of a beloved father! No one can fill his place in the vacant chair. It will be a sacred thought in the years to come that he shed radiance in our home as long as he did. We will never hear his voice again on earth, but may we be one united family around that throne of God, where there will be no more parting, for death can never enter there. His children were all with him in his last hours, except a daughter who is in the west. The funeral services were coducted by Rev. G. Higginbotham and the body was laid away in the Goff Cemetery to await the resurrection morn.

A light is gone out in our home;
but is kindled in heaven above.
We are left here, so sadly to mourn,
But we'll greet him in infinitre love.

We bow, blessed Lord, to thy will,
Though heavy the stroke of thy rod.
We'll wait and they service fulfill
And then we'll go home to our God.

M. M.

Submitted by: Lorraine Moffat                                        Return To Top of Page

Mrs. Katherine Opatrny

Obituary, newspaper clipping, it is as follows,

Mrs. Katherine Opatrny, 83, passed away February 6 and the funeral services were held Monday, February 12, at St. Wenceslaus Church. The services were conductd by Msgr. C. J. Francka, her pastor for over forty years and the remains were laid to rest in the Karlin Cemetery. The body was taken to her home Sunday and cared for by her daughter, Mrs. Henry Midles, till it was time for the last rites.

The pall-bearers were John Pfitzner, Frank Bohaty, T. S. Shough, Charley Wachal, Joe Kukal and Delbert Hutcheson. Interment was under direction of Erwin and Blue of Bolivar.

The family surviving her are Mrs. Rose Midles, Bolivar; Frank Opatrny, Bolivar; Mrs. Elsie Irwin, Bolivar; Mrs. Mary Voss, Goldfield, IA, and Mrs. Sophie Kukal, Phoenix, AZ.

There are five grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

Her husband died four years ago.

Submitted by: Pam Shipley                                          To Top of Page


Bolivar (MO) Free Press, 12 Apr 1928, page 1


Enos Pickering was 95, and Had Lived Here 89 Years

Enos Pickering, an honored citizen of Polk County and our oldest one, died Sunday at the home of a daughter, Mrs. John Ables, west of Cliquot, where he had lived for several years. He was the father of J. A. Pickering, Judge of the County Court of the Western District. He had been in failing health but did not become seriously ill until a couple of weeks ago.

He was 95 years old, and 89 of these years had been spent in Polk County.

An obituary of Mr. Pickering follows.


Enos Pickering, oldest son of Jonathan and Rebecca Thompson Pickering was born February 24, 1833, near Raytown in Green County, Tennessee, and departed this life April 8, 1928, being 95 years, 1 month, and 15 days old.  He was married to Mary Elizabeth Devin February 23, 1854. To this union four children were born: Mrs. Martha Meade, Mrs. Isabelle Ables, Mrs. Mary Hatfield, and J. A. Pickering. His wife passed away September 18, 1909, and his daughter, Mrs. Hatfield, died July 1, 1920. The other children still survive. He also leaves ten grandchildren and nineteen great-grandchildren, two brothers, Jonathan and William, and one sister, Mrs. Margaret Forgey.  Many years ago he was converted in early manhood at the old Dunnegan Camp Meeting near the large rock just east of Dunnegan. While he never united with any church, for many years he repeatedly told his daughters and son he was ready to go.

He was a Union soldier of the Civil War, having enlisted the 6th day of July 1861 at Bolivar, Mo. as a private in Company "A" Fifteenth U. S. Reserve Corps, Missouri Infantry. After six months service he was honorably discharged.

He came with his parents to Missouri at the age of 6 years and first located on the Polk and Cedar County line southwest of Dunnegan on Christmas Day 1839, and spent the remainder of his life in Polk County.  Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock, the Rev. Luther McReynolds officiating. Five of the G. A. R. and a number of the American Legion from Bolivar were in charge of the services, who paid tribute of honor to their oldest comrade in the county. The pall bearers were: J. A. Pitner, J. R. Deardof, J. R. Howe, comrades in the Civil War, and Judge Devin, Judge Rees and Judge McArtor. Burial was in Salem Cemetery.


We wish to express our heartfelt thanks to all our friends for their expressions of sympathy and kindness in the loss of our dear father, Enos Pickering.




Submitted by: Julie Trout a great-great-great granddaughter.

Return To Top of Page

Asleep in Jesus

 In memory of our loving brother, Alvin Robertson, who died as his home in Morrisville, Mo., Tuesday, February 25, 1902 at 2 o’clock a.m., aged 24 years,  months and 21 days.

For the first time the angel of God has visited the home of Mr. And Mrs. B.F. Robertson, and from among the rest picked the pride and jewel of the home. We may say “Why was it that from among all the rest this precious one was chosen.” Yet when we think of the life he has lived, we very well know that he was more fully prepared to go—that he was a christian none who knew him well could doubt. He was not of the loud demonstrous sort, but rather of the kind abundant of good works, whose Christian character shone forth in good deeds rather than mere profession. Being of a naturally sweet and amiable disposition, religion and culture brought the traits to such an extent that he was loved by all who knew him. He has been a life long sufferer, and there have been the dangerous spells of illness which we have watched him through, and thought it would be the last, but the Father in Heaven waited until a fit time to call him home, which did not take an illness of but five days.

When in the midst of the turbid waters of death and the shadows that gathered around us in that hour, peacefully his eyes were closed in death. The shadow of a great sorrow and loneliness has fallen upon the father and mother, three brothers and five sisters, who still linger on the shores of time.  But the shades of evening will soon gather around the ones who are left behind,  and in a short time we will all go to join the loved one who has preceded us to our Father’s house.

 Farewell, dear Alvin, with parting pain,
,It will not be long until we meet again,
In heaven we’ll sing, when life’s work is done,
Thence we have started one by one.
There the shattered links of love’s broken chain,
In joy and beauty will unite again.

How we miss him, oh, we miss him,
In our little humble home;
But the angels softly whispered
Welcome dear one to our happy home.

He is dwelling with the angels,
And his Savior best of all;
He has listened, yes he’s listened,
To hear the Savior’s own sweet call.

So at last after pain and suffering,
On a cold and windy night,
Jesus found a place for Alvin
And his spirit took its flight.

Do not weep dear father, mother,
For we know he is at rest;
In that happy home with Jesus
And the mighty pure and blest.

Do not mourn dear brothers, sisters,
For our brother that is gone;
For some day we hope to meet him,
In that bright celestial home.

Submitted by: Jan (Robertson) Lowry                        To Top of Page


Our blessed Master has again seen fit to send the Angel of Death to visit the home of Mr. And Mrs. B.F. Robertson, of Morrisville, and take from them the darling son and brother, Archie. He was born Sept. 13, 1886, and was called from this world of sorrow, Oct. 1, 1907. When in his last hours he called his loved ones to his bedside and asked them to pray that Jesus might accept his soul, and as the turbid waters of death seemed darkening around us, our feeble voices went up in humble petition to Him who is always ready and willing to save, even in the hour of death, and that blessed peace was spoken to his dying soul. Then his bright face told the sweet story to those who knew not of His love, warning them not to put it off as he had done, but to turn to Jesus and be prepared to meet him in Heaven. And we trust, by the help of our blessed Master that all his friends and loved ones may some day fulfill that last request and meet him in that beautiful beyond, where sorrow, sickness, pain or death are no more. 

While our little home is so lonely without brother, we ask our blessed Savior to help us look up and see our little family circle increasing in Heaven as it decreases on earth, for one by one we will quit the walks of this life and go to join our darling brother in that blessed home with Jesus. 

Father, mother, two brothers and one sister besides a number of relatives, were permitted to follow the remains to its lasting resting place in Concord Cemetery, where kind hands administered the last tribute of respect to him. His grave was left a mass of flowers, showing the love and respect of many.    SISTER 

Mr. And Mrs. Robertson and daughter wish to express their thanks to all their friends for the kindness and assistance rendered in the illness and death of their son and brother.

Submitted by: Jan (Robertson) Lowry                        To Top of Page

Obituary of Benjamin F. Robertson

Benjamin F. Robertson was born in Tenn., May 26, 1843; died at his home in Morrisville, March 26, 1924. He was 80 years and 10 months old. He moved to Missouri with his parents when 3 years of age. At the outbreak of the war he joined the Union Army and served in Co. E. Of the 8th Missouri Cavalry until the war closed.

He was united in marriage to Mary E. Gregg on Jun 6, 1865 and to this union was born nine children five of whom are still living.

Deceased was converted early in life and united with the Enon church. Later he was a charter member of the Oakville church. At the time of his death he was a member of the Morrisville Baptist church.

"Uncle Ben" as he was called by all who knew him, was a man of sterling character and decided of opinion. He took great pride in his home and it's surroundings.

Since the death of his wife six years ago, his daughter, Miss Cora , has been his constant companion, giving up all to care for him. Her devotion to him is one of the great monuments that will last throught eternity.

The children living are: Miss Cora and H. L. Of Morrisville, Will of Wishart, Mrs. Fannie Davis of Brighton, and Mrs. Laura Cook of Ponca City, Okla. Besides these there are two sisters , Mrs. W. H. Thompson of Morrisville and Mrs. F. C. Pittman of Walnut Grove, besides other relatives and host of friends.

This good man has gone to his reward. Funeral services were conducted at the house at 10 a.m., Thursday, and at the Oakville church at 11: a.m. by Rev. Mederias of the Bolivar Baptist Church and Rev. Ben Morris of the Morrisville church. Burial in the adjoing cemetery.

Benjamin F. Robertson

Funeral services for Benjamin F. Robertson, 80, who died at his home in Morrisville, Mo, Wednesday afternoon were held Thursday at the home and at the Oakville church, with Reverend Morris, pastor of Morrisville Baptist church, and Reverend C. F. Mederis, pastor of Bolivar Baptist church, officiating. Burial was in Oakville cemetery under direction of Brim and Sons, undertakers, of Walnut Grove. He is survived by five children, William Robertson of Wishart, Mo.; L. Harve Robertson, Morrisville, Mo., Cora Robertson, Morrisville, Mo.; Fanny Davis, Brighton, Mo., and Laura Cook, Ponca City, Okla. He had been a resident of the district surround Walnut Grove for more than 30 years.


We wish to extend our heartfelt gratitude to our many friends and neighbors who were so kind and helpful to us during the sickness, death and burial of our beloved father. Also for the love and sympathy manifested by the beautiful floral offerings from our friends, the church and Junior B.Y.P.U.

W. A. Robertson, H. L. Robertson, Cora Adeline Robertson, Mrs. Fannie Davis, Mrs. Laura Cook

Submitted by: Jan (Robertson) Lowry                        To Top of Page


Mary Emaline (Gregg) Robertson was born in Washington county, Arkansas, March 3, 1848. She was converted at Enon Church, near Morrisville, Mo., in early life and joined that church. Later in life she transferred her membership to Oakville church. Then still later, having lived in Morrisville a number of years, and the church of her choice having organized and built a church house in Morrisville, she moved her membership to Morrisville. She was therefore a member of a Baptist Church continuously from the date of her conversion to the date of her death.

She was married to B. F. Robertson at old Union Baptist Church, near Morrisville, June 4th, 1865. This couple thus united lived happily through the succeeding years and reared a family of children, the following of whom still survive her: W. A. Robertson, H. L. Robertson, Mrs. Fannie L. Davis, Cora Robertson, and Laura Cook.

"Aunt Mary" and "Uncle Ben" as we love to call them, celebrated their Golden Wedding June 4th , 1915. On that day "Aunt Mary" said to the assembled guests, "This is one of the happiest days of my life; being here in the company and fellowship of my family and my friends is but a foretaste of Heaven." The least that we can say of her is that she was true to every trust committed to her hands. She and her husband walked hand in hand together for about fifty-three years. Their lives were exceedingly happy together. The family of children to which they devoted their lives has grown to full fruition and are a blessing to their name and memory.

As a neighbor, "Aunt Mary" had no superior in the community. Those who knew her loved her most. Her life was like some fragrant flower. It made all who passed her way happier by having passed.

As a wife she was devoted to the end. She and her husband were inseparable companions. They fought the battles of life together. They bared their breasts to storms of life together and came off more than conquerors. They became an inseparable union until death separated them for a brief span. But their spirits are still united and have companionship until the dawn of that better day when they will be joined together again forever in the Father's house.

As a mother she was loving and affectionate in all that these words can mean. She was to her children all that the sainted word "Mother" can impart. She loved her children passionately. And she loved them in that way that made men and women of them that will honor her name and the community in which they reside.

The community mourns the loss of one of its best and most loved citizens. The family gives up the life that was dedicated to and expended for its happiness. And while we all mourn this loss, we rejoice in her happy reunion with those who she "had loved long since and lost awhile." We also rejoice in the life she lived and for the sweet influence she left. Her reward is sure and certain. She lived that life that leaves behind an inspiring hope. She hath wrought well. Her crown will be that of the faithful. We loved her. We miss her, but we rejoice that her suffering is over and that she is calling to us from the bright home beyond the grave.

She entered into sweet rest on February 12, 1918, surrounded by her husband and children and a few of her dearest friends.

"Angels sing on your faithful watches keeping,
Sing us sweet fragments of the songs above;
Till morning's joy shall end the night of weeping,
And Life's long shadows shall break in cloudless love."

-- C. J. W. -

[It is assumed this newspaper article was from the Bolivar Herald-Free Press or the Newspaper that serviced Polk County at the time of her death in 1918.]


We wish to try to express our thanks and appreciation to our many friends for the love shown the kindness bestowed and assistance rendered during the illness, death, and burial of our loved companion and mother.

B.F. Robertson , W. A. Robertson, H. L. Robertson, Cora Robertson, Mrs. Fannie Davis, Mrs. Laura Cook

Submitted by: Jan (Robertson) Lowry          To Top of Page


02 Nov 1880 – 22 Feb 1977

Morrisville – Services for Miss Cora Robertson, 96, a lifelong Morrisville resident will be at 11 a.m. Thursday in Morrisville Baptist Church. The Rev. Duane Corn will officiate and burial will be in Oakville Cemetery, west of  here, under the direction of Pitts of Bolivar.

            Miss Robertson died in Bolivar Nursing Home at 11:10 a.m. Tuesday after a long illness.

            She is survived by a sister, Mrs. Laura Cook, of Ponca City, Okla., and several nieces and nephews.

Submitted by: Jan (Robertson) Lowry          To Top of Page


Annie Denton, eldest daughter of Dallas and Jane Ross Denton, was born at West Bend, near Morrisville, May 25, 1868. Both her parents died before she was eight years of age and she made her home with relatives until grown.

She attended the common schools and began work at an early age, as a dress maker and milliner, becoming very proficient in that art.

On July 16, 1889, she was married to Harvey L. Robertson at Morrisville, by the Rev. Morris A. Ewing. To this union two children were born, Clois Allen and Nora Edna.

For many years Mr. and Mrs. Robertson operated a grocery store and later a dry goods store in Morrisville. In 1931 they sold their property in Morrisville and moved to Springfield where they resided until the time of her death.

Mrs. Robertson became a Christian in early life and joined the Methodist church at Morrisville, later transferring her membership to the Baptist church there, where she remained a member until the time of her death.

She had been in poor health for the past five years and unable to care for her household duties much of the time. He[r] husband assumed most of these duties and faithfully cared for her during all the years of her illness.

Mrs. Robertson departed this life at her home in Springfield , Mo., March 10, 1948. Her age at the time of her death being 79 years, 9 months and 15 days. Besides her husband she is survived by one son, Clois A. Robertson, and one daughter, Mrs. Marvin Cowden, both of Springfield. She is also survived by one sister, Mrs. Jess Wall of Sherman, Tex., and ten grandchildren: Lee Allen, James, Raymond, Clinton, Dallas, and Leonard Robertson, Mrs. Jessie Euliss, Mrs. Anna Margaret Deck, and Clyde and Leonard Cowden. Four of the grandsons served in the armed forces during the recent war. In addition to the 10 grandchildren, she leaves eight great-grandchildren: Doris, Linda Lee, Donna Lee, Mary Evelyn, Virginia Dale and Larry Allen Robertson; Glenna Sue Deck and David Lee Cowden. Also a number of nieces and nephews and a host of other relatives and friends.

Funeral services were held Sunday, March 14. A brief service was conducted at the home by the Rev. J. L. Leonard, an old friend of Mr. and Mrs. Robertson. A second service was conducted at the Baptist churchin Morrisville by Rev. G. E. Laswell, pastor of the Morrisville Methodist church, assisted by Rev. John McManus, pastor of the Morrisville Baptist church, and Rev. Leonard of Springfield.

Beautiful musical numbers were rendered by the Morrisville Quartet, assisted by Joan Ashby and Mrs. B. L. Cunnyngham. Interment was in Oakville cemetery near Morrisville, under direction of the Brim Funeral Home of Walnut Grove. Pallbearers all grandsons of Mrs. Robertson, were James, Clinton, Raymond and Leonard Robertson and Clyde and Leonard Robertson [should be Cowden].

Mrs. Robertson was a quiet, unassuming person, interested in her home, her family, and her friends. This was borne out by the many beautiful floral sprays surrounding the casket. A good wife and mother has gone to rest.

One by one the Morrisville pioneers are going down the valley. This time it was Mrs. Harve Robertson, whom we are told was born and reared and lived most of her life in this vicinity, but who had lived the last several years in Springfield. Her body was brought here, and the funeral was held in the local Baptist church in the presence of hosts of relatives and friends Sunday, March 14. She will be greatly missed by those who loved her, and expressions of love and honor to her were made by the many and beautiful flowers and the large crowd who gathered to pay their last respects to one who was very dear to them. To her family we express our deepest sympathy and commend them to the care of their Savior, who knoweth best, for it will be only a short time until there will be a happy reunion for those who love the Lord. The grandsons were the pall bearers, and the services and floral offerings were beautiful.

Submitted by: Jan (Robertson) Lowry          To Top of Page


HARVEY L. (Lafayette) ROBERTSON, 96 who made his home with a daughter at 920 West Monroe Terrace, died at 7:00 p.m. Sunday at a rest home here following a lingering illness. Mr. Robertson had been a resident of Springfield since 1930 when he retired from business in Morrisville. He was a member of the Baptist church there.

Surviving are the daughter, Mrs. Marvin Cowden; a son, C.A. Robertson, Springfield; two sisters, Miss Cora Robertson, Morrisville, and Mrs. Laura Cook, Ponca City, Okla.; ten grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren and 12 great great-grandchildren.

Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday in Morrisville Baptist Church with the Rev. Perry Cousins officiating. Burial will be in Oakville Cemetery, near Morrisville, under direction of Klinger [Mortuary].

Escorts: Clyde Cowden, Leonard Cowden, David Cowden, James Robertson, Raymond Robertson, Leonard Robertson.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[The following was most likely the obituary read at his funeral. This was not a newspaper clipping, but rather a typewritten paper]

Harvey Lafayette Robertson, son of Benjamin F. And Mary Gregg Robertson was born March 21, 1868 at Morrisville, Missouri and departed this life December 13, 1964, being at the time of his death 96 years, 8 months and 10 days of age.

He was married to Annie Denton of Morrisville July 16, 1889. To this union were born two children: Clois A. And (Nora E.) Mrs. Marvin Cowden, both of Springfield. He is also survived by two sisters, Miss Cora A. Robertson of Morrisville and Mrs. Laura Cook of Ponca City, Oklahoma; ten grandchildren, 18 Great grandchildren, and 12 Great great grandchildren; also a large number of nieces and nephews and other relatives.

Mr. Robertson joined the Old Union Baptist Church south of Morrisville when a young man and remained a member there until the congregation moved to the present Baptist church here when the present building was erected and has continued his membership here since that time.

Mr. and Mrs. Robertson observed their 50th wedding anniversary July 16th, 1939. Mrs. Robertson preceded him in death March 10, 1948, and he has made his home with his daughter most of the time since the death of Mrs. Robertson.

Mr. Robertson, at the time of his death was the oldest living who had been born in Morrisville.

He operated a grocery and general mercantile business here in Morrisville for many ;years before his retirement in 1930. Soon after his retirement, he and Mrs. Robertson moved to Springfield and resided there since that time.

He was born only 3 years after the close of the Civil War and had lived from the days of the Ox cart to the time of the jet planes.

Mr. Robertson has lived a long and useful life and leaves to mourn his passing a large number of relatives and friends.

Submitted by: Jan (Robertson) Lowry          To Top of Page

Obituary of

William A. Robertson

(20 Jun 1866 – 29 Aug 1941) 

William A. Robertson, son of Benjamin and Mary E. Robertson was born near Morrisville, MO June 20, 1866; departed this life to be with Christ Friday, Aug. 29, 1941, being at the time of his death 75 years, 2 months and 9 days old.

He was united in marriage to Josie McNight Dec. 19, 1894. Practically all of their lives, except a short time in Springfield, were spent at their farm home near Wishart, MO., until, owing to declining health, they retired fifteen years ago from active business cares of the farm and moved to Morrisville, where Mrs. Robertson preceded him in death June 19 of this year. After her departure, he gradually failed in health, and suffered a final two-week illness. While all that could be done was done by his two faithful and devoted sisters, our Lord called him Home to rest.

“Uncle Will”  was converted in early life, and his quiet and gentle Christian spirit bore testimony of one who knew the Master and Keeper of our lives. A kind and faithful brother and a good neighbor and friend has gone home.

Survivors included one brother Harvey L. Robertson of Springfield, MO., three sisters, Mrs. Fannie Davis and Miss Cora Robertson of Morrisville and Mrs. Laura Cook of Ponca City, Okla., and many other relatives and friends.      

Funeral services were held Sunday, Aug. 31, at Oakville church by the Rev. C. E. Laswell, pastor of the Morrisville Methodist church, the Rev. W. H. Winton and the Rev. C. W. Dorman, pastor of the Morrisville Baptist church. Burial was in Oakville Cemetery.

                                                                        --A Friend 



             William A. Robertson, 75-year-old retired farmer and native Polk county, died at 12:20 o’clock Friday morning at his home in Morrisville after a short illness. Mrs. Robertson retired 15 years ago and moved to Morrisville from his farm near there. His late wife, Mrs. Josie McKnight Robertson, died June 19, after a long illness.

            Survivors included a brother, Harve L. Robertson of Springfield; three sisters, Mrs. Fannie L. Davis and Miss Cora A. Robertson, both of Morrisville, and Mrs. Laura Cook of Ponca City, Okla.

            Funeral services will be at 1 o’clock Sunday afternoon in Oakville church near Morrisville, with the Rev. W.H. Winton and the Rev. C. E. Laswell officiating. Burial will be in Oakville cemetery under the direction of the Brim funeral home of Walnut Grove.


ESCORTS:  Otis Mackey, Earl Mackey, Lano Hamilton, Leonard Hamilton, Oscar Davis, Monroe Jones, C.A. Robertson, Elmer McKnight

Song Service:  Oakville choir and Quartette: Mr. and Mrs. M. G. Anderson and Mr. and Mrs. James Ferguson
Music:  Mrs. Hoil Wood 
Funeral under the direction of Brim’s Funeral Service – Ash Grove and Walnut Grove, Missouri

Submitted by: Jan (Robertson) Lowry          To Top of Page


Source: Centenial Volume of Missouri Methodism – Southwest
Missouri Conference -- Springfield District (page 552)
Written by: Rev. W. H. Winton
EDITS: [in brackets]

"And love lives on and hath a poer to bless
When they who loved and hidden in the grave"

-- James Russell Lowell

Rev. James Braxton Winton, oldest son of Rev. George Mitchell Winton, and named in part for his father's first senior preacher, Rev. Braxton McCord Roberts, was born in Green County, Missouri [just south of Polk Co.] in August 20, 1847. He studied a year or two at Central College, Mo.. His work there having been interrupted by sickness, was cut short, and his education was never completed. He largely made up for this lack, by wide and varied reading. He also studied law for a time. Like his father, he was late entering the ministry. He was licensed to preach in 1875, and in the fall of the same year, joined the Southwest Missouri Conference at Neosho. He was ordained Deacon in 1877, and Elder in 1879. Soon after this he was married to Miss Jessie Williams, of Boonville, Mo. He remained in this Conference until 1883, in which year he was transferred to the Pacific Conference, and moved with his young wife and one baby, to the State of California, where his wife and five children still live. In Missouri he served Walker Circuit, Papinsville, Joplin, Lebanon, and some other works. He also spent a year teaching at Muskogee, I. T.

In California, he was stationed successively at Lakeport, Healdsburg, Plainsburg, and Rockville. He was a man of medium size, dark hair, dark eyes, and refined features. He was never of robust constitution, and fell a victim of the influenza epidemic of 1890, and, after repeated attacks, died May 8, 1892, just a few months before his father, having not completed his forty-fifth year. He was a quiet, undemonstrative man, somewhat hindered in his studies and social contact by defective vision. He preached with deliberation, but always earnestly, expounding the truth clearly and enforcing it with vigor. He was of amiable temper, and aboslutely without fear, either physical or moral. His sun set at noon, but he was ready. He was buried at Merced, California. End

Return To Top of Page

This page was last updated on 23 Apr 2003

Return to the Polk County Page              Bio--Obit Index

Copyright © 1998---2005 by  

Kay Griffin Snow  SW, MO

Anne Hood Ann Arbor MI

Information submitted will remain the property of the submitter.

30 Aug 1998