Polk County Biographies by Goodspeed
ED. M. LAPPIN
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 668--Polk County Biographies Section
Ed. M. Lappin, editor and proprietor of the Fair Play Flag, at Fair Play, Polk County, Mo., was born at Waterloo, Ill., April 25, 1866, and is the son of J. M. and Evaline (Brown) Lappin, and grandson of Knight Lappin, who resided in Ohio, and whose father was a native of the Emerald Isle. J. M. and Evaline Lappin were natives of Ohio, born in 1837 and 1844, respectively. The father attained his growth in Ohio and Indiana, but was married in Illinois; was a minister in the Baptist Church until late in life, when he became minister in the Christian Church. He is now residing in Polk County, Mo. To his marriage were born seven children, four now living, and Ed. M. Lappin being the third in order of birth. He received his education in the Sate of Missouri, and, after completing the same, entered the office of the Neosho Republican as an apprentice to the printer's trade, continuing in this capacity for four years. In 1888 he became proprietor and editor of the Walnut Grove Bulletin, which he conducted until 1889, when he came to Fair Play, and is now editor and proprietor of the Fair Play Flag, a newsy sheet devoted to the interests of the county. Mr. Lappin's brother, Frank M., is a type-setter with him. Mr. Lappin was married to Miss Isa Buitt, a native of Illinois, but who was reared in Polk County, Mo. Two children are the result of this union, Harlan and Maud Lappin. Mr. Lappin is a Republican in politics, and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church. ~~>TOP<~~
Prof. JULIUS M. LEAVITT
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 668, 669--Polk County Biographies Section
Prof. Julius M. Leavitt, president of the Southwest Baptist College, the oldest child of Sylvester and Mary A. (Whittemore) Leavitt, natives of Ohio, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, August 18, 1857. His father was a farmer, and in 1863 volunteered with the 100-days men, and died in Westchester County, N. Y. His mother still lives in Ohio. In the family were two children. Prof. Leavitt was educated in the public schools and at Hopedale Normal College, graduating in 1879, from which time up to 1881 he was principal of Hopedale public schools. In 1882 he was principal of schools in Effingham, Ill., after which he took a post-graduate course at Ann Arbor, Mich. In that year he was elected professor of higher mathematics in the Southwest Baptist College, vice-president in 1884, and president in 1886, which position he still holds. In addition to the regular college degrees conferred by the institutions from which he graduated, he has received the honorary degree of A. M. from Ewing College, Ill., and Ph. D. from Mt. Lebanon University, La. August 5, 1879, Prof. Leavitt married Miss Florence J. Baldwin, of Hopedale, Ohio, a graduate of the musical department of Hopedale Normal College and of Dana's Musical Institute, Warren, Ohio, and who for some time had charge of the musical department of Hopedale Normal College. They have two children, Thomas S. and Alpheus F. They are members of the Baptist Church, and his is a Mason. ~~>TOP<~~
ROBERT N. LEITH
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 669--Polk County Biographies Section
Robert N. Leith, farmer, residing one-half mile northeast from Sharon Station, was born January 13, 1846, in Cooper County, Mo., and is the son of John and Mary (Walker) Leith, natives of Maryland, born July 5, 1807, and Rutherford County, Tenn., in 1814, respectively. The father followed farming in his native State, and in 1828 emigrated to Cooper County, where he was married in 1829. In 1858 he and family emigrated to Polk County, Mo., and settled about four miles from Bolivar, where he now resides. His wife moved with her parents to Cooper County, Mo., in 1828, and by her marriage became the mother of nine children, four now living, and Robert N. being the youngest. He came to Polk County with his parents in 1858, passed his boyhood days in that county, and had the advantages of a good ordinary school education. January 13, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Eighth Missouri State Militia Cavalry, as a private, and served in the ranks only for about one year, when he was detailed as clerk in the colonel's office at Springfield, and served until the close of the war. He was six months in the quartermaster's office, and was mustered out at Springfield, March 27, 1865. After the war he returned to Polk County, and entered Bolivar Academy, where he remained one year, and then worked in the probate judge's office about one year after leaving school. He served in the various offices of the county in 1869 to 1875, viz.: county clerk's office, circuit clerk's office and recorder's office, and is one of the representative men of the county. November 23, 1875, he married Pattie D. Graveley, a native of Cedar County, Mo., born in 1855, and who grew to womanhood there. Her early school advantages were good, having attended the Bolivar Academy three years, and also attended school at Stockton. Five children were born to this union: Nannie L., Robert N., Jr., Mary Alice, Joseph F. and Mattie E. Mrs. Leith is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and an excellent woman. In 1876 Mr. Leith moved to Orleans Postoffice, and engaged in merchandising for two years, and then in 1878 he moved on a farm, where he has remained ever since. He has taken an active part in school matters, and in fact has manifested a decided interest in all matters relating to the good of the county. He is a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, a bright, enterprising citizen and universally esteemed. ~~>TOP<~~
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 670--Polk County Biographies Section
H. Lewis, one of the leading druggists of Bolivar, Mo., is a native of Trumbull County, Ohio, born October 8, 1846. His scholastic training was received at the Western Reserve Seminary, West Farmington, Ohio, but failing health caused him to abandon his books at the age of fifteen, and he then began clerking in a store, where he remained for about nine years. In 1870 he started to go to California, but stopped in Bolivar, Mo., to see a friend, and, after remaining there a short time, bought a stock of boots and shoes, soon becoming associated with J. T. Odor in a drug store. This partnership did not last very long, and Mr. Lewis, not long afterward, became sole proprietor. In 1874 he returned to Ohio, and was there married to Miss Jennie S. Dunkerton, also a native of Trumbull County, Ohio. To this union were born two children, both now deceased. Mr. Lewis also had the misfortune to lose his wife March 8, 1887. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Lewis is a Knight Templar in the Masonic order, a member of the A. O. U. W., and also a member of the Jeweler's' League. He has followed continuously one line of business longer than any other man in Bolivar, and enjoys a successful and a strictly honorable drug patronage. In his political views he is a Republican.
JEFFERSON LEMMON, M. D.
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 670, 671--Polk County Biographies Section
Jefferson Lemmon, M. D., one of the successful practicing physicians of Polk County, Mo., was born in Looney Township, Polk County, December 24, 1846, and is the son of John S. and Permelia (Wallace) Lemmon. The maternal grandfather, David Wallace, was a soldier in the War of 1812 and the maternal great-grandfather, William Wallace, was a native of England, and served in the Revolutionary War. John S. Lemmon and wife were born in Kentucky in 1811, the former born in Barren County, and the latter in Christian County. When about eleven years of age, each moved to Henry County, Tenn., with their parents, and there they were married when but eighteen years of age. The same year, 1828, they moved to Missouri, locating where Springfield now is, though there was no sign of a town ther then, only the remains of a deserted Indian village, and remained there until 1832, when they moved to this county, and here the mother still lives. Mr. Lemmon was farmer, stock-raiser and miller, and was a very successful business man. He is a Democrat in politics. During the war he went South with his property, and was never heard from again. When first settling in Missouri, they were obliged to go to Boonville to trade, and experienced all the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life. Mrs. Lemmon is a member of the Baptist Church. She is the mother of fourteen children, eleven of whom lived to be grown. She has over 100 direct descendants. Her son, Dr. Jefferson Lemmon, assisted his father on the farm and in the mill, and received his education in the common school, also a term in the high school at Springfield. In October 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Fifth Missouri Confederate Volunteers, and served two years. He then became hospital steward of Cherokee Artillery, and his brother was surgeon. There he gained his first knowledge of medicine. Having returned, he studied medicine under his two elder brothers, and in 1874 entered Missouri Medical College and took one course of lectures, after which he located at Walnut Grove, Greene County, and practiced until 1878-79, when he took another course at the same school, and graduated in the last named year. He then returned to his old location and practiced until 1880, when he went to Texas. Three years later he came to Morrisville, where he has had a good practice since, and to which he has exclusively devoted his time. He is a member of the Polk County Medical Society, of the Southwest District Medical Association, and was president of the former one term. For a companion in life he chose Miss Mary M. Anderson, a daughter of Nathaniel Anderson, one of the old teachers of the county. By this union seven children were born: Clara S., Waldo N., Laura L., Emma T., Mollie J., Bennie S. and Arthur E. Dr. Lemmon is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and his wife of the Christian Church. He belongs to the following organizations: Masonic fraternity, Odd Fellows and the A. O. U. W. Dr. Lemmon has practiced his profession in this county for sixteen years, and has had excellent success.
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 671, 672--Polk County Biographies Section
John Lightfoot. In sketching the life of this gentleman it is but just to say that his good name if above reproach, and that he has won the confidence and esteem of all who know him. His native birthplace was Allen County, Ky., where he was born on the 13th of May, 1820, his parents being Henry J. and Barbara (Lambert) Lightfoot, who were born in Virginia and South Carolina (it is supposed), respectively, and both died in Polk County, Mo., he in 1861, at the age of sixty-six yeas, and she four years later, aged also about sixty-six years. Their marriage took place in Warren County, Ky., after which they moved to Simpson County, where John was reared, and from whence they moved to Polk County, Mo., in 1853. The father was a natural mechanic, but gave the most of his attention to farming, and in his religious views was a member of the Primitive Baptist Church. His thirteen children lived to be grown, but only six are living at the present time: David L., a farmer, residing near Joplin, Mo; Melissa, wife of Marion Jackson, is residing in Polk County; Malinda, widow of Jack Pitts; Henry B.; Barbara, wife of Meredith Richards, deceased; and John. The latter was educated in Simpson County, Ky., and at the age of twenty-three years began farming for himself in Kentucky, and in 1851 moved to Polk County, Mo., and has since made his home in Green township, being engaged in tilling the soil, and at one time worked a considerable period at the wagon-maker's trade. In 1860 he obtained possession of what was then known as Bradley's Mill, which he operated for ten years, a part of the time being a partnership with Francis Hatler and D. W. Rush, but the greater part of the time was in business alone. Previous to the Civil War he served as justice of the peace, and during that struggle worked in his mill. On the 23d of June, 1842, he married Miss Keziah H. Chapman, a daughter of David Chapman. She was born in Monroe County, Ky., in 1822, and became the mother of five children: Henry J., a prominent citizen and ex-collector of Polk County; David M., merchant and trader, of Humansville, Mo.,; John S., also at Humansville; William A., at Pittsburg, a merchant and farmer; and Louisa F., wife of Jasper Creed, also a farmer of Polk County, Mo. Mr. and Mrs. Lightfoot belong to the Baptist Church, and he is a deacon, and has been a member for over forty years. He takes great pride in supporting the cause of religion, education, and all other worthy enterprises, and as a public-spirited citizen ranks among the first in the county. He is a Republican in politics. ~~>TOP<~~
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 672--Polk County Biographies Section
Henry Lightfoot, ex-collector of Polk County, Mo., and
one of its enterprising citizens, was born in Warren County, Ky., in 1843, on the 23d of
July, and is a son of Jahn and Keziah (Chapman) Lightfoot, whose sketch appears above.
Henry, the eldest of their family, was educated at home, and remained under the shelter of
the parental roof until the opening of the Civil War, when he enlisted in Company C,
Eighth Missouri State Militia, and, after serving over two years, joined Company D,
Thirteenth Missouri Veteran Regiment, U. S. A., and served faithfully and well until
January 11, 1866, when he was honorable discharged. While a member of the militia he was
corporal, and, after joining the Thirteenth Regiment, acted as orderly sergeant, and saw
some very hard service, and participated in a number of battles and numerous skirmishes.
He has since been engaged in farming, and, in 1880, was elected by the Republican party as
collector of Polk County, and served one term with honor. October 28, 1866, he was married
to Fanny Vaughn, who was born in Barren County, Ky., on the 12th of April, 1846, and by
her has a family of six children: Irena, John J., Lula, Harry, Frank and Eva. Mr. and Mrs.
Lightfoot are consistent members of the Baptist Church, and he belongs to the Masonic
fraternity. Mrs. Lightfoot's parents, Jeremiah and Fanny Vaughn, were also early residents
of Polk County, having come from Virginia to Missouri in 1850, and, after residing one
year in Dallas County, moved the following year to Polk County. The father now resides in
Dallas County, but the mother died September 14, 1870.
JAMES E. LOAFMAN, M. D.
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 672, 673--Polk County Biographies Section
James E. Loafman, M. D., was born in Allen County, Ky., September 7, 1834, his parents being William P. and Ellen (Pulliam) Loafman, both of whom were reared in Kentucky, and wee members of the Baptist Church. When our subject was eleven years of age his father died; his mother still lives. James E., the eldest of six children, had a liberal education, receiving most of it at home under his father, but also attended the public schools. Having farmed and taught till twenty-three years of age, he began the study of medicine under Prof. Joseph W. Benson, and took his first course of lectures in the medical department of the University at Louisville, Ky., in 1859-60. In the spring of 1860 he came to Polk County, and entered upon the practice of his profession. April 14, 1860, he married Dulcena Vaughn, of Barren County, Ky., by whom he had six children, Fannie E., Mary P., Virginia F., James R., Lizzie G. and Alice V., the last two having died. His wife died in 1878, and in 1887 he married Arpha J. Delaplain, a native of this county, and by her has had one child, Grace Y. In 1862 he moved to Dallas County, but returned in 1865, and has since lived in this county, being occupied in practice until 1869, when he took a second course of lectures in the St. Louis School of Medicine, graduating in the spring of 1870. He and both wives were Baptists. He is interested in farming, having 120 acres of land. During the war he was appointed examining surgeon for Dallas County. He is now, and for six years has been, treasurer of the Board of Trustees of Southwest Baptist College. He is a member of the Southwest Missouri Medical Society, and of the Missouri Medical Association; and is president of the Board of Examining Surgeons for the Pension Department; a Mason, and a Republican. ~~>TOP<~~
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 673, 674--Polk County Biographies Section
William Lower, whose name is closely associated with the farming and stock-raising interests of Polk County, is the son of George W. and Elvira (Carter) Lower, both natives of East Tennessee, where they attained their growth and were married. They remained in their native State until 1849, when they moved to Morgan County, Ill., and there the father died in 1852, from having his foot crushed in a horse-power. He was a farmer, a blacksmith, a millwright, and a genius generally. He was a Democrat in politics, and in religion, was a member of the Primitive Baptist Church, as is also the mother. She is still living. In their family were nine children, four sons and five daughters, and three of the sons served in the Union army. William Lower was born in Roane County, Tenn., July 16, 1843, was reared on a farm, and received a limited education. In August, 1861, he enlisted in the Home Guards, served about three months, and then joined Company A, Eighth Cavalry Missouri State militia. He served three years and a month, and was in the battles of Perryville, Oak Ridge, Ark., and was never wounded or imprisoned. He was discharged at St. Louis, after which he returned to this county, and has tilled the soil ever since. January 1, 1867, he married Miss Elvira Hilbrant, a native of this county, who bore him eleven children, ten now living: Lester G., Minnie B., Ulysses, Arthur, Frank, Marion, Effie M., Roselda, Sarah R. and Jesse. Mrs. Lower is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. After marriage, Mr. Lower settled on the farm where he now lives, and which consists of 200 acres of land--160 acres under cultivation. He is a successful farmer, having made all he has by his own industry; is a Republican in politics, and is a member of the G. A. R. ~~>TOP<~~
Capt. FOSTER J. McADOO
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 674, 675--Polk County Biographies Section
Capt. Foster J. McAdoo, proprietor of the Commercial Hotel at Bolivar, Mo., is the son of Rev. Levi P. and Ellen (Harper) McAdoo, both natives of Huntington, Tenn., the former of Scotch-Irish descent, and the latter of German. The parents were married in Tennessee, and remained until 1831, when they moved to Greene County, Mo. The father was a Cumberland Presbyterian minister, though he followed merchandising for several years. About 1845 he moved to Laclede County, and, when the war broke out, he enlisted, and served as hospital steward in the six months' service. In 1862 he enrolled Company I, Eighth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and was elected captain, but resigned in June, 1863. He then returned home, and lived a quiet life until about 1875, when he received his final summons. The mother is still living, and is about seventy-five years of age. She is also a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He was a member of the Masonic order, was a Whig in politics, but afterward became a Republican. Their family consisted of ten children, eight now living, three sons and five daughters. Capt. Foster J. McAdoo was the fifth child in order of birth, and first saw the light of day in Greene County, Mo., March 18, 1841. He assisted his father on the farm and attended the old subscription schools. In 1861 he enlisted in the Home Guards, and was chosen first lieutenant. In September of the same year he was captured near Tuscumbia by the Confederate forces, kept a short time, and was then paroled. In the spring of 1862 he entered the quartermaster's department as clerk under Capt. Bentley Owens, and in August, 1862, he enlisted in Company I, Eighth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, being mustered in as second lieutenant, and soon after rose to the rank of first lieutenant. In the spring of 1864 he was made captain of his company, and led the company at the battle of Prairie Grove, Van Buren, Ark., and at Wilson's Creek, Mo. He was also at Brownville and Bayou Meto, Ark., and was never taken prisoner, nor was he reported on the sick list but three times. He was discharged at St. Louis in August, 1865, and returned to Laclede County, where he held the offices of sheriff and collector for five years. While sheriff he captured the notorious robber, Bud Taylor, but had to kill him in so doing. January 16, 1862, he married Miss Mary E. McMenus, a native of Laclede County, Mo., and eight children were born to this union, six now living, three sons and three daughters. In 1878 Capt. McAdoo moved to Dallas County, and, in 1888, to Polk County, where he farmed and dealt in stock until May of the same year, when he began keeping hotel. He is a strong supporter of schools and all enterprises pertaining to the good of the county, and both he and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He is a Republican in politics, and a member of the G. A. R.
JOSEPH C. McCRACKEN
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 675, 676--Polk County Biographies Section
Joseph C. McCracken, one of the oldest and most prominent residents of Polk County, Mo., was born in Williamson County, Tenn., August 15, 1830, being one of five surviving members of a family of thirteen children, born to Thomas and Elizabeth (Holmes) McCracken, who were born in Scotland, February 26, 1778, and North Carolina September 12, 1788, and died in Polk County, Mo., January 26, 1859, and September 6, 1870, respectively. They were married in Sumner County, Tenn., and after residing there a short time moved to Williamson County, where they made their home until 1842, when they came to Missouri, and located on the farm on which their son Joseph C. now resides. While residing in Tennessee they were neighbors to Thomas H. Benton, and he and Mr. McCracken became warm personal friends. The latter was a Whig in politics, a successful farmer, and although not a member of any church, was a true Christian gentleman. During the War of 1812 he served under Jackson, and was at Horse Shoe Bend, but was not at New Orleans. His father, John McCracken, came from Scotland to the United States about 1776, and, joining the Continental army, served faithfully throughout the Revolutionary War, participating in many battles. The mother's father, Robert Holmes, was an Irishman by birth, and also served in the American army, and was under Gen. Gates when his army was captured. Joseph C. McCracken, whose name heads this sketch, was educated in Tennessee and Polk County, Mo., and, being the youngest of the family, remained with his parents until their deaths. He has followed in his father's footsteps, and is a successful farmer and stock-raiser, and owns some of the best farming land in Polk and Hickory Counties. He is a Republican in politics, a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is an enthusiastic patron of education, churches and all enterprises for the public weal. During the late war he served in the Enrolled Militia and Provisional service, being a member of Company C, Sixtieth Regiment Missouri State Militia. He held the rank of corporal, and was a participant in many skirmishes. October 21, 1856, he was married to Miss Mary F. Bodine, who was born in Hickory County, Mo., September 13, 1837, her father, William Bodine, being one of the first settlers in this portion of Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. McCracken are the parents of ten children: Henry C., Marcus A., Charles C., Marcellus B., Theiphilus P., William T., Sherman, Lanna C., wife of John E. Kendall; Virginia F., and Martha F. Mr. McCracken's brothers and sisters are: Ephraim, Nathaniel, Elizabeth (Ingram) and Jane (Appleby).
HENRY CLAY McCRACKEN
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 676--Polk County Biographies Section
Henry Clay McCracken, recorder of Polk County, Mo., was born July 13, 1856, and is a son of Joseph C. and Mary F. (Bodine) McCracken. His father is a native of Middle Tennessee, and when about thirteen years of age came with his parents to this county, locating with his father, Thomas McCracken, on Twenty-five-Mile Prairie, where he still lives. The McCrackens originally came from Scotland, and settled in Kentucky, the grandfather of our subject having served in the War of 1812, under Gen. Jackson. Joseph C. has been a farmer all his life. When the late war broke out he enlisted in the army and served throughout. In 1855 he married Miss Bodine, of Hickory County. H. Clay McCracken, the eldest of a family of nine children, was raised a farmer boy, and received a good education. After leaving the common schools he attended Weaubleau Christian Institute, Rondo Institute, and the Southwest Baptist College. During his course of study, and after completing it, he taught school till 1886, when he was elected county recorder, which position he holds at present, discharging his duties in a satisfactory manner. He is a stanch Republican, and a charter member of Godfrey Lodge No. 136, Knights of Pythias, Bolivar, Mo.
W. H. McGUIRE
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 676, 677--Polk County Biographies Section
W. H. McGuire, merchant at Brighton, is the son of Michael and Sarah (Deaton) McGuire, natives of Tennessee and Virginia, respectively. The father was born in 1821, and is of Irish descent, as his great-grandfather came from the Emerald Isle. The mother was born in 1823, and moved with her parents to McMinn County, Tenn., where she met and married Mr. McGuire. Afterward they remained in Tennessee until 1850, when they came to Polk County, Mo., and here the father still lives. The mother was killed by a pistol shot, in 1868, and since then the father has married again. By his first wife he became the father of five children, four sons and one daughter. Mr. McGuire came to this county a poor man, and, though he has no education, he has been very successful, and is classed as one of the first farmers of his community. He is a Democrat in politics. W. H. McGuire was born one and a half miles west of Brighton, Polk County, Mo., September 9, 1854, was reared on the farm, and educated in the common schools. He remained at home and traded in stock until 1879, when he opened a general store at Brighton, which he has run ever since. In January, 1886, he became a member of the Bolivar Hardware Company, in which he is still interested. In January, 1878, he married Miss Mary B. McRoberts, a native of Tennessee, who bore him five children: Michael, Katie, Ella, Charley and William Carl. In connection with his mercantile business Mr. McGuire is also interested in farming, and is the owner of 162 acres, with 149 under cultivation. He has taken considerable interest in fine stock, and has two fine black Spanish jacks, all being imported. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is a Democrat in politics. Mrs. McGuire is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
WILLIAM A. McREYNOLDS
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 677--Polk County Biographies Section
William A. McReynolds, senior member of the firm of McReynolds & Hayes, is a native of this county, and was born October 15, 1866. His father, John W., was born in Knoxville, Tenn., in 1820, and when young learned the blacksmith's trade, at which he worked till 1882. In 1848 he moved to Bolivar, in and near which place he has since resided. He was three times married, and had a large family, his first wife being Malinda Luttrell, the second, Sarah J. Luttrell, and the third, Margaret J. Lloyd, who was the mother of William A. The subject of this sketch, at the age of seventeen years, commenced an apprenticeship at the jeweler's trade in Springfield, opened a store in Bolivar in 1883, and five years later formed a partnership with L. A. Hayes. Both are Democrats, and wide-awake young business men. Mr. Hayes was born in 1867, and served a three years' apprenticeship at his trade while growing up. His practical knowledge of the business has added materially to the success of the firm, and the energy and good judgment manifested by himself and partner have contributed to the reputation enjoyed as the representative house in this line in the county. A full and complete stock of goods is kept constantly on hand.
ADAM CLARK MAY
History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 677, 678--Polk County Biographies Section
Adam Clark May, another prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Polk County, Mo., was born in Washington County, Tenn., April 3, 1837, and is the son of Adam C., Sr., and Mary (McGinnis) May, who were among the early settlers of East Tennessee. The father was of German, and the mother of Irish descent. They never left the State of Tennessee, the mother dying there when the subject of this sketch was but eighteen months old, and the father died when Adam was thirteen years of age. The longest term he ever attended school was one and a half months, and in all he did not attend more than three months. When eighteen years of age he came to Taney County, Mo., driving a team to pay his passage. After coming to this State he hired out by the months or worked at whatever he could find to do. March 21, 1861, he married Miss Catherine J. McHaffie, a native of Greene County, born February 9, 1844, and this union resulted in the birth of seven children: Luther M., Charles F., Herschel H., Mary M., William A., Eugene C. and Clara. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He did not take an active part in the late war, but resided in this and Greene Counties until peace was declared; when he moved to Polk County and has since made it his home. Having rented a time, he bought a place, which he sold in 1886 with a view of going to Texas, but backed out and bought the place where he now lives. He has 170 acres, with about ninety acres under cultivation. During the period of township organization he was collector a year, and filled the office in a highly efficient manner. He is a member of the Masonic order, and was noble grand of the Odd Fellows' lodge at Morrisville when the hall burned. He affiliates with the Democratic party politically.
Questions or comments: Kay Griffin Snow
2 Jan 2001; 2005 © All Rights Reserved.