Polk County Missouri Biographies
G - H
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 644, 645--Polk County Biographies Section
Moses Gee, one of the leading citizens of Polk County, Mo., was born in Butler County, Ohio, June 14, 1828, being a son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Vanderver) Gee, who were born in Kentucky and Virginia in 1795 and 1810, respectively, and died in Carroll County, Ind., in 1880. They were married and made their home in Ohio until 1831, then went to Indiana and spent their declining years. The father was a farmer the greater portion of his life, but in early life had learned the shoemaker's trade. He was a life-long Democrat. He and wife became the parents of twelve children who lived to be twenty-one years of age, the following of whom are now living: Moses; Alfred, a farmer and blacksmith of Carroll County, Ind.; Nancy Ann, whose husband is a farmer of Carroll County, Ind.; Ellen; Amos, a farmer of Hickory County, Mo.; Andrew and John, both farmers of Carroll County, Ind.; Jane, wife of Lewis Landes; and Charles, of the same county and State. Elizabeth and Benjamin are deceased. Moses Gee remained with his father until twenty-one years of age, then started by ox-team to the "Golden Gate" in search of gold, and was at work in the mines there for four years, accumulating considerable means. He then returned home via the Isthmus of Panama and New York City, and, after farming for some time in Carroll County, Ind., went to Clinton County, of the same State, and in 1880 came to Missouri and located in Polk County. He was married to Catherine Maish in 1858, her father being Samuel Maish, of Pennsylvania, where she was born in 1837. She and Mr. Gee are the parents of five children: Elizabeth, wife of Charles McCollough, a farmer and stock-dealer of Vernon County, Mo.: and Samuel, Anna, Rosa May and John, at home. Benjamin, another son, died in Texas in 1888 at the age of twenty-six years. Mr. Gee is the owner of 300 acres of as good land as there is in Polk County, the result of hard work and good management. He has been a life-long Democrat.
Samuel W. GORDON
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 645, 646--Polk County Biographies Section
Samuel W. Gordon, a successful merchant of Half Way, Mo., is a native of Polk County, and was born on the 12th of February, 1857, being one of ten children, nine of whom are living at this writing, born to James W. and Elizabeth (Benton) Gordon, who were born in Washington County, Ky., and Illinois, respectively. Both were early settlers of Missouri, coming to Cole County with their parents at an early day. Here they married, made their home, and reared their family, and here the father died in 1884, at the age of sixty-two years. His widow continued to reside on the farm until 1886, and since that time has resided in Fort Smith, Ark., with her children. She is an earnest and consistent member of the Missionary Baptist church. The father was a Democrat in politics, and, although he learned the shoemaker's trade in early life, he gave the most of his attention to farming, in which occupation he was quite successful. Samuel W. Gordon received his education in the common schools of Polk County, and , in 1876, left the parental roof to go to the Cherokee Nation, where he was engaged in teaching school for five months, and then, for some time, was engaged in business in Greenwood. The four following months were spent in Johnson County, after which he returned to Polk County, where he has since been occupied in farming and stock trading. In June, 1886, he embarked in the mercantile business in Half Way, keeping an excellent line of goods, which he sells cheap for cash, or exchanges for produce. On the 23d of September, 1884, he was married to Miss Ada Morris, a daughter of William Morris, by whom he has two children: Floyd and Claude. He is treasurer of the I. O. O. F., of which he is a member, and in his political views is a Democrat. He and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. His brothers and sisters are as follows: William J., a carpenter at Buffalo, Dallas County. ; J. N., a farmer and teacher, of Crawford County, Ark.; Emma E., wife of J. W. Davidson, a farmer of Polk County, Mo.; M. W., a resident of Springfield, Mo.; Benjamin S., a stock trader in the Cherokee Nation; Elmore, at Fort Smith, Ark.; Bridge, also at Fort Smith; Rachel, wife of John Boyd, of Crawford County, Ark.; and Elizabeth, at home. Top of Page
Charles H. GRANT
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 646, 647--Polk County Biographies Section
Charles H. Grant, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Madison Township, residing three miles northwest from Fair Play, Mo., was born April 23, 1839, in Giles County, Tenn. His parents John A. and Ann (Hannah) Grant, were natives of Virginia and Tennessee, respectively; he was born about 1805, and she about 1808 or 1810. They were married near 1836, and the father followed farming, and was also overseer on a plantation in Tennessee until 1854, when he came to Polk County, Mo., and from there to Cedar County in the fall of the same year. Aside from his farming interest, he was also quite a mechanic. He died in the last named county February 8, 1855, and the mother died in Tennessee in 1850. She was of Scotch descent, and a member of the Baptist Church. In their family were seven children, three now living: C. H., J. A., and Martha C. Charles H. Grant came to Missouri with his father in March, 1854, and grew to manhood in Polk County. He attended the common schools of Tennessee for about six years, and this was about all of his schooling. July 6, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Sixteenth Missouri, six months' men, and afterward re-enlisted December 18, 1861 in Company A, Eighth Regiment Missouri State Militia Cavalry and was in the Humansville battle. He was wounded May 20, 1864, in a skirmish by a thirty-eight caliber revolver, the ball entering his left side below the lower lobe of the left lung, and coming out behind the right shoulder. He was laid up for six weeks. For this he receives a pension. He was mustered out January 25, 1865, returned home, purchased a farm, and December 27, 1866, he married Miss Mary M. Frieze, of Polk County, Mo. Eight children were the result of this union, seven now living: Ann E., Cordelia A., Martha R., Ulysses S. A., Hattie R., James W., and Mary J. Mr. Grant is a Republican in politics, and was elected by that party in 1870 to the office of assessor or Polk County, serving two years, and serving as deputy assessor from 1873 to 1878. He also filled the same position in 1880. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, also the G. A. R., and is a member of the Baptist Church, of which he was deacon. He has been a school director most of the time since 1865. John A. Grant, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Ireland, born about 1765, and when a young man came to America. He was in the War of 1812 under Jackson, and died in Tennessee about 1845 or 1846. The paternal grandmother was also of Irish descent, and died in Tennessee a short time previous to the death of her husband. The maternal grandfather, John Hannah, was a native of Scotland, and died in Tennessee previous to 1835. The maternal grandmother also died in that State, several years previous to the death of her husband. Top of Page
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 647, 648--Polk County Biographies Section
Thomas Greer, another successful farmer, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, -July 19, 1844, and is the second of six children, four now living, two sons and two daughters, born to George and Eliza (Gourley) Greer, both natives of the northern part of Ire- land. The parents were married in their native country and there remained until 1849, when they sailed for America, locating at Philadelphia, Penn. The father was a dyer by trade, which occupation he followed in the old country and also in Philadelphia. In 1856 they emigrated to Boone County, Ill., where he and his sons worked out. Everything was high on account of the Crimean War, but soon however, wheat dropped to thirty-five cents, and money was loaned at twenty per cent. Wishing to find a warmer climate, Mr. Greer and family moved to Polk County, Mo., in February 1860. He and wife were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and he was a Republican in politics. He died in 1887, but the mother is still living and is seventy-six years of age. Thomas Greer was but five years of age when he was brought to America, and he received what education he got in the public schools of Philadelphia. When about eleven years of age he began learning the manufacture of hosiery, and worked at the business for about nine months. After coming with his parents to Missouri he worked by the month for the man who owned the place where our subject is now living. In August, 1861, Mr. Greer enlisted in Company C, Fifteenth . V. S. R. C., Missouri Home Guards service, and was on duty until December. In February, 1862, he enlisted in -Company B, Eighth Missouri State Militia Cavalry, and served three years, but never received a scratch. Returning to his home, he engaged in farming, and in 1874 was elected sheriff of Polk County and served two years. In 1882 he was elected collector and served a term, being elected by the Republican party, with which he affiliates. He is a Knight Templar and also a member of the G. A. R. January 1, 1867, he married Miss Emaline Lower, a native of Roane County, Tenn., born January 18, 1846, and a daughter of George W. and Elvira Lower. To them were born ten children, eight now living- Charles E., Robert A., Alice, Thomas, Naomi, Emma, George, Oliver and Maud. Both Mr. and Mrs. Greer are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Greer owns 230 acres of land with 175 acres under cultivation. He is a wide-awake citizen, and one who is highly respected.
George Washington GRIFFIN
History of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade and Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889 Goodspeed p 648
G. W. Griffin, M. D., practicing physician and surgeon at Fair Play, Polk County, Mo., is a native of Roane County, Tenn., born June 15, 1844, and the son of William and Elizabeth (Harvey) Griffin. William Griffin was born in North Carolina, but grew to manhood in Tennessee, where he married Miss Harvey, after which he emigrated to Missouri in the fall of 1850, and has been a resident of Polk County ever since, residing near Shady Grove, in that county. He served in the Federal Army, Company D, Sixth Missouri Cavalry Volunteers, for three years, and rendered active service for his country. His wife, Elizabeth (Harvey) Griffin, was born in Tennessee, and is still living. They are the parents of eight children. The paternal grandfather was a native of Ireland, and early emigrated to America. The maternal grandfather was a native of England, who emigrated to America, locating in McMinn County, and there passed his last days. Dr. G. W. Griffin passed his boyhood days in Polk County, Mo., received a liberal education, and in July, 1861 enlisted in the Federal service, participating in the battle of Wilson's Creek, the first battle in Southwest Missouri. He was in Company D, Sixth Missouri Volunteer Cavalry, and served twenty-three months, when on account of disability, he was discharged. He commenced the study of medicine at the age of twenty years, studied under a preceptor for four years, and practiced under him for eleven years. He graduated from the Missouri Medical College with the degree of M. D., and afterward practiced in Hickory County for three years. He then located in Fair Play May 28, 1888, and has been practicing in that city and vicinity ever since. He owns a house and residence in this city, and a farm near Shady Grove. He was married November 12, 1863, to Miss Susan B. McIntosh, who was born January 25, 1845. They have an interesting family of five living children, but have lost three: Ophelia A., Elijah M., Horace E., Buel W. and William C. two children (twins) died in infancy, and one died at the age of fourteen years. Dr. Griffin is a Republican in politics, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is a Third-degree Mason and an Odd Fellow.
Submitted by: Kay Griffin Snow
Top of Page
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 648, 649--Polk County Biographies Section
Green Hadlock, on of the successful tillers of the soil, was born in what is now Tazewell County, Ill., May 18, 1831, and is the second of eight children, six sons and two daughters, born to Samuel and Eliza (Owen) Hadlock, natives, respectively, of New York and Connecticut. The father was born in 1802 and the mother in 1810. When young, they moved with their parents to Ohio, where they attained their growth, were married, and there remained until 1830, when they removed to Woodford County, Ill., and, in 1858, to this county, where they settled on the farm now owned by their son, Green Hadlock. In Illinois Mr. Hadlock ran a mill for about fifteen years, though his chief occupation was farming. Politically he was a Whig, but was afterward a Republican. He was a man very fond of the chase, and quite a successful hunter. He died in 1886, and the mother in 1874. At the age of twenty-one Green Hadlock began for himself, by farming, and this continued for some time. He was married, November 24, 1858, to Miss Maria Gunn, a native of Woodford County, Ill., born March 22, 1835. Her parents came to this State in 1838. To Mr. and Mrs. Hadlock were born nine children, six now living: Owen, H. Clay, Mary A., Clara, Emma, and Effie. During the war Mr. Hadlock served a short time in Company F, Twenty-sixth Missouri Enrolled Militia, and, after serving a month, he was promoted to the rank of second lieutenant. While in Illinois he was revenue collector of his township. He is the owner of 240 acres of land, with 160 under cultivation. When he started out in life he had but little means, but by his own industry he has become one of the substantial farmers of the county. He is a Republican politically, and is a member of the G. A. R. Top of Page
Jefferson B. HATLER
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 649, 650--Polk County Biographies Section
Jefferson B. Hatler, dealer in hardware, pumps and saddles, at Bolivar, Mo., was born in Greene County, Mo., August 22, 1840, and when five years of age came with his parents to this county. His father, Charles B. Hatler, was a native of West Tennessee, born in 1801, and his mother was born in Kentucky, in 1800. After marriage they moved to Missouri (1832), and settled near Springfield, whence after a residence of about thirteen years, they moved to Polk County, Mo. He was a farmer by occupation; a Whig in his political views, and a member of the Methodist Church, as was also his wife. He lived to be fifty-four years of age, and she, eighty-two. They were the parents of eight children, three of who are now living, all sons. The youngest of this family, Jefferson B. Hatler, received a limited education in the old -time log school-house, and assisted his father on the farm. In June, 1861, he enlisted in Capt. Mitchell's Company of State Militia Cavalry, Confederate Army, and served six months, participation in the battles of Wilson's Creek, Drywood and Lexington. In 1862 he joined the regular Confederate Cavalry, and served until the close of the war, participation in the following battles: Pea Ridge, Corinth, Champion's Hill, Grand Gulf, siege of Vicksburg, before Sherman from Dalton to Atlanta, Altoona and Franklin. At the last-named battle he was captured, taken to Chicago and exchanged in March, 1865. During his service he was three times slightly wounded. He then returned home, and in 1867 was united in marriage to Miss Therese E. Elzey, a native of Bentonville, Ark. Three children are the fruits of this union: Troy C., Benjamin and Zoa. Having farmed until 1882, Mr. Hatler turned his attention to merchandising at Slagle, Polk County, and in 1885, he moved to Bolivar, where he has a good business. In politics, he affiliates with the Democratic party. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the A. O. U. W. Mrs. Hatler is a member of the Baptist Church.
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 650, 651--Polk County Biographies Section
Henry Ham, now seventy-three years of age, one of the prominent farmers and stock-raisers of Johnson Township, Polk County, Mo., and one of the old and much-esteemed citizens of the county, was born September 6, 1816, and is the son of John and Mary (Dibret) Ham, both natives of Maryland, where they grew up and married. The father was a soldier in the War of 1812, was a tanner by trade, and, after moving to London, Ohio, he still continued his trade. To his marriage were born eleven children, two now living. The paternal grandfather, Peter Ham, was a native of Pennsylvania, and moved to Maryland, where he followed the tanner's trade for many years. He died in that State. The great-grandfather Ham was a native of Germany, who emigrated to America at an early day, and settled at Germantown. The maternal grandfather of our subject was a native of Germany, and emigrated to America, where he passed his declining years. He was a cooper by trade. Henry Ham left Maryland at ten years of age and went to Ohio, where he grew to manhood. He was married there to Miss D. J. Gragg, who bore him two children, both deceased, and his wife also is deceased. After her death he went to Illinois, remaining ther ten years, and then, in 1860, came to Missouri, bought a farm, and engaged in agricultural pursuits. Eight years later he settled on his present farm, where he has remained ever since, and where he has 1,100 acres of land. He also owns a house and lot in Bolivar, valued at $600, besides possessing $2,000 worth of personal property. His second marriage was to Miss Mary Watson, who bore him one child, John H. After her death he married Miss Mary J. Kennedy, and one child, Martha J., was the result of this union. He is a Republican in politics, and his first vote for President was for Henry Clay. Mrs. Ham is the daughter of John Y. and Martha P. (Dunnegan) Kennedy, both natives of Tennessee, and both died in Cedar County, Mo. They were the parents of ten children. After marriage Mr. Kennedy moved to Missouri, locating in Morgan County, but moved to Cedar County, afterward to Polk County, and then to Dade County. He died in Cedar County in 1875, and was sixty-three years of age. The paternal grandfather of Mrs. Ham was a pioneer of Missouri from Tennessee, and her maternal grandfather settled in Polk County, Mo., near Dunnegan Spring, and it was after that family the spring was named. Mrs. Ham, received her education at an early day, and taught eleven terms of school in Cedar County. She owns forty acres of land in that county, and is an intelligent, well-educated lady. She was married at the age of thirty-nine years. Top of Page
JAMES AND MARY SMITHWICK HARDISON
James Hardison, born in Martin Co., NC in 1759, married Mary Smithwick, about 1804-08. James, who served as a private in the North Carolina Line in the Revolution under Captains Jones, Hardison and Evans and Colonels Eaton, Hill and Stitt, was married first to Mary Roberson, , daughter of James and Charlotte Reeves Robason/Roberson, also of Martin County, in 1789. They had eight children:
Thomas (17 Nov 1789-5 Dec 1856)
Margaret (17 May 1791-bef. 1841), m. Nathaniel Woolard
William (17 Nov 1793-26 Oct 1830)
Charles (16 Aug 1795-4 Oct 1878), m. Hannah Daniel (15 May 1802-9 Oct 1878)
Frances "Fannie," born 16 July 1798, m. ? Davidson
Joel, M.D. (5/15 Aug 1800-17 Dec 1873), m. Jane Howe Long (6 Feb 1800-11 May 1884), dau. David and Mary Howe Long , on 17 Dec 1873
Delilah , 22 July 1802, m. BRACKETT DAVISON on 3 Aug 1817
Humphrey (18 Aug 1804-15 Oct 1874), m. Harriet Woolard (19 July 1806-11 Nov 1850) dau. Silas and Lucretia Woolard on 6 March 1826.
Mary Smithwick was of an old North Carolina family, who were government and church leaders, beginning in Chowan County, NC in the latter part of the 17th Century. Mary's ancestor is probably Hugh Smithwick, assumed to be the progenitor of the North Carolina Smithwicks, who was said to have settled in the area of Old Albemarle County about 1643.
James and Mary Smithwick Hardison moved with their children to Maury County about 1812-14 and took up land on Flat Creek, near where Jacob Derryberry and David Long had settled earlier.
James and Mary Smithwick Hardison had children:
Ezra, born 1809, m. Serena Derryberry
Penelope (27 April 1810-9 Sept 1861), m. Ira Hardison (12 May 1806 - 30 Sept 1875).
Ira was the son of Edward and Millie Stubbs Hardison.
Asa, born 1813, m. Mary A. Dickson
Richard Bates (1816-1861), m. Nancy Catherine Sowell (11 Aug 1826 - 31 Dec 1883).
Catherine m. (2) James P. Daniel (13 Jan 1836-29 Feb 1920)
James Y. (12 July 1818-14 Dec 1916), m. Dorothea Jane "Dolly" Fonville (15 Mar 1823 - 10 Apr 1904)
Iva, m. Gabriel Long Morton.
Dorothea (Dolly) was the daughter of Asa and Dorothy Stephenson Fonville of Bedford and Marshall Counties, TN. Asa was the son of Revolutionary soldier, Francis Marion Fonville of New Bern, Craven Co., NC, and Sarah Bright, daughter of Revolutionary soldier, Simon Bright. Dorothy was the daughter of Revolutionary soldier, Silas Stephenson.
Francis, who family legend says was one of Gen. Lafayette's interpreters during the Revolution, was the son of John Fonville (II) and Elizabeth Brousse/Brice, daughter of French Huguenot Jacques Brousse of New Bern, NC. John (II) was the son of Huguenot immigrant to Mannikintowne, VA, Jean/John Fonville, and Francoise Larry of La Rochelle, France. They married in London and departed for Virginia on the ship Mary Ann in 1699. (Information on Huguenot Jean Fonville can be found in The Douglas Register and Turff and Twigg.)
James Y. and Dolly Fonville Hardison were married about 1841 in Maury Co., TN. Their children were:
Endora Desdemona, born 1842
Eugenia Frances "Fannie" (25 June 1844-8 Mar 1938), m. William Alexander Derryberry (11 Dec 1842-15 Jan 1924)
Enzede T., born 1847
Zachary Taylor (Nov 1849-06 Mar 1930), m. Mattie (S.E.?) Holcomb, dau. of P.M. and Olivia Wilkins Holcomb
Mary, born 1851
Parilee, born 1855
Alice, born 1857
James Y. and Dolly Hardison are buried in the James Y. Hardison Cemetery, one mile off Bear Creek Rd., on Blackburn Lane, at the edge of Ulna Harmon's front yard.
Fannie married William A. Derryberry on Christmas Eve, 1865, after he had recovered from wounds he received in the Civil War. Both of them are buried in the Old Jacob Derryberry Cemetery / Derryberry-Hardison Cemetery at the intersection of Joe Brown and New Lasea Roads in Maury County.
Submitted by: Audrey Derryberry Massey
106 Robin Lane SE
Huntsville, AL 35802
Return To Top of Page
Dr. Caleb N. HEADLEE
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 651, 652--Polk County Biographies Section
Dr. Caleb N. Headlee, one of
the most eminent physicians of Polk County, Mo., has been in active practice at Pleasant
Hope since about 1865. His birth occurred in Maury County, Tenn., June 27, 1827, being one
of four surviving members of a family of nine children, eight of whom lived to maturity,
born to the marriage of Caleb Headlee and Mary Steele, who were born in North Carolina and
died in Missouri in 1847, when about sixty-five years of age, and in 1867, aged nearly
ninety years, respectively. They were married in the "Old North State," and were
among the early emigrants to Giles County, Tenn., soon after moving to Maury County. Both
were members of the Methodist Church, and took great interest in church affairs. The
father was a veteran in the War of 1812, and, while a resident of Tennessee, held the
office of justice of the peace for a number of years. He was of Welsh descent, and
throughout life followed the occupation of agriculture. His father, Elisha Headlee, was
born in New Jersey, but died in Greene County, Mo., at the extreme old age of ninety
years. Mrs. Mary (Steele) Headlee was a daughter of Samuel Steele, a native of
Pennsylvania, and was of Irish descent, her father having been born in the "Emerald
Isle." Dr. Caleb N. Headlee, the subject of this memoir, received his education in
Tennessee and Missouri, and at the time of his father's death was eighteen years of age.
From that time until 1860 he farmed on his own account, and at the latter date crossed the
plains to California, and, after successfully mining there for several years, he returned
to Greene County, Mo., via the Isthmus of Panama and New Orleans. Soon after his
return he began the study of medicine under his brother, E. B. Headlee, and in 1859 went
to Marion County, Ark., where he continued to practice five years, then came to
Springfield, Mo. After a short time he located at Pleasant Hope, where he has won an
enviable reputation as a medical practitioner. In 1880 he began selling drugs, but after a
short time sold out his stock, only to re-engage in the occupation soon after, and
continued until his building caught fire and was consumed. He is now selling drugs again,
and is doing a good business. May 10, 1849, he was married to Dovey L. Armour, a daughter
of Washington and Nancy S. Armour. She was born in Giles County, Tenn., about 1830, and is
the mother of five children, all of whom are living: Victory J., Mary O., Melville P.,
Nancy L. and Arminein. Mrs. Headlee is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and
in his political views the Doctor is a Democrat. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity. His
brothers and sisters are: Jane L Foster, of St. Louis; Marthy L. Clark, of Grayson County,
Texas; Samuel W., of Greene County, Mo., a farmer, who is now representing that county in
the State Legislature.
Return To Top of Page
William J. HENSLEY
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 652--Polk County Biographies Section
William J. Hensley, general
merchant, and a member of the hardware firm of Hensley & Kinder, at Aldrich, Mo., was
born March 13, 1846, on his father's old homestead, near Shady Grove, in Polk County. He
is the son of James M. and Frances J. (Brown) Hensley, and grandson of Benjamin Hensley,
who was born probably in South Carolina. He was with Gen. Washington in the Revolutionary
War, and suffered greatly for want of food. He was also in the War of 1812, under Jackson,
and after that war he returned to Tennessee, and continued his occupation of farming. He
emigrated to Polk County, Mo., about 1840, moved to Cedar County in 1854 or 1855, and died
in that county about 1861-62. The paternal grandmother was a native of one of the
Carolinas, and died in Polk County, Mo., in 1848, or 1850. The maternal grandparents were
natives of Tennessee, and emigrated to Polk County, Mo., at an early date. Here the
grandfather died in the forties, and the grandmother in the fifties. James M. Hensley,
father of our subject, was born in East Tennessee, in 1821, and grew to manhood in his
native State. At the age of nineteen or twenty he came with his parents to Polk County,
Mo., and here followed farming. He was married to Miss Frances J. Brown, about 1845, and
during the war entered the Missouri State Militia under Capt. Delaplaine, and served about
one year. He is now living near Bolivar, and enjoys very good health. He is a member of
the Christian Church. He was the father of nine children, eight now living. His wife is a
member of the Baptist Church, is still living, but does not have very good health. William
J. Hensley is the eldest of the children born to his parents. He attained his majority in
Polk County, and in boyhood attended the district schools. He moved with his parents to
Cedar County, in about 1855, but returned to the former county with his parents in 1862.
During the late war he enlisted in Capt. Delaplaine's company, and served three months,
after which he returned home and married Miss Sarah C. Croft, of Polk County. She was born
February 17, 1842, in Dade County, and is the daughter of Gillis G. and Mary (Bridges)
Croft. To Mr. and Mrs. Hensley were born five children, all living: Mary J. (now Mrs.
Brown), John W., Alice E., Florence and Nettie. After marriage Mr. Hensley settled on a
farm near Bolivar, where he remained until 1884, when he moved to Shady Grove, where he
was engaged in mercantile business. He was also postmaster at this place. In 1887 he moved
to Aldrich, where he has since been engaged in his present business. He is a Republican in
politics, and his wife is a member of the Christian Church.
Return To Top of Page
Joseph T. HIGGINBOTHAM
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 654, 655--Polk County Biographies Section
Joseph T. Higginbotham. In giving a history of the worthy citizens of Polk County, Mo., Mr. Higginbotham deserves honorable mention, for, throughout his life, which has been spent in this county, his good name and humor have remained untarnished. He was born near where he now lives, July 25, 1855, and is the son of Thomas and Rachel Wilson (McKinney) Higginbotham, who were born on "Blue Grass" soil. In 1845 the father came to Polk County, Mo., and after being engaged in farming and stock raising for many years, retired from the active duties of life, and is now enjoying the fruits of a well-spent life. He served as county judge, at one time being elected by the Democratic party, of which he has been a member, and during the Civil War was captain of militia and participated in a number of engagements. His wife died in the fall of 1885, having been an earnest member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Their children are: Gideon H., J. J., Sarah E., wife of G. M. Botts; Rueben F., Mary Ann, wife of Jasper Vickery; W. W., Martin T., Robert M., who died at the age of sixteen years, and Joseph T. The latter was educated in his native county, and remained at home until twenty-one years of age, when he turned his attention to farming, which he has since continued with success, being now the owner of two well located and well improved farms, all of which is the result of industry and business ability. He also deals quite extensively in stock. At the age of Twenty years he married Miss Mary Fullbright, who was born in Washington County, Ark., March 5, 1855, a daughter of Jason Fullbright. To them were born seven children, six of whom are living: Martin P., Minnie Lee, Thomas F., George W., Maggie O. and Nora E. Anna R. died when nine months old. Mr. Higginbotham is a Democrat in politics and since thirteen years of age has been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, of which his wife is also a member.
Return To Top of Page
Wellington S. HOPKINS, M.D.
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 655, 656--Polk County Biographies Section
Wellington S. Hopkins, M. D. No science has kept more thoroughly apace with the growth of the country, or has made greater developments within the past fifty years, than has, perhaps, the medical science, though it may be often abused by ignorant practitioners who are to be found in every community; still a worthy and skillful physician is soon recognized and patronized accordingly. Among the very prominent and successful young physicians of Polk County, Mo., is Dr. W. W. Hopkins, whose name heads this page. He was born in Polk County April 15, 1862, and is the son of Hiram and Elizabeth Jane (Williams) Hopkins. Dr. Hopkins' grandfather, James Hopkins, Sr., was born in Orange County, N. C., in 1764 (the youngest son of his parents), and entered the Revolutionary War at the age of sixteen, serving through the greater portion of that conflict; he was honorably discharged for disability received while in the service. His father emigrated to North Carolina from Wales, in a very early day. Hiram Hopkins was the youngest son of James Hopkins, Sr., and was born in Wilson County, Tenn., March 17, 1817. With his father he emigrated to Illinois the year that State was admitted to the Union, then returned to Tennessee, then to Missouri in 1833, and again to Illinois, coming thence to Polk County, Mo., in 1835, where he, with others, had several skirmishes with the Indians. He died on the old homestead in Polk County, February 11. 1878. Hiram Hopkins was married twice, and became the father of one child by his first wife. His second marriage was to Elizabeth Jane Williams, of Polk County, Mo., where she grew to womanhood. She died September 26, 1868. He was a farmer by occupation, and in connection was engaged in merchandising. He was a Republican in politics, was in the Home Guards during the war, and was one of the prominent men of Polk County, having filled the office of judge of the county court for a number of years. He died on the old homestead in Polk County, February11, 1878, and the mother also died in the same county, September 26, 1869. To his second marriage were born eight children, seven now living. The grandparents on both sides were natives of North Carolina. Dr. W. S. Hopkins began the study of medicine under Dr. Drake, of Polk County, in 1884, remained thus employed for several months, and then entered the Missouri Medical College in October of the same year. Later he returned and practiced in Cedar County during vacation, under Dr. M. B. Wooldridge, but returned to the college in October, 1885, where he graduated March 2, 1886, with the degree of M. D. He then returned to Cedar County, and resumed the practice of medicine until November, 1886, when he moved to Fair Play and entered upon a successful practice. He was married March 17, 1887, to Miss Elsie M. Paynter, of Cedar County, who was born February 28, 1869, and grew to woman hood in Cedar County, Mo. She attended the common schools, and also three terms at a select school at Stockton. She is the daughter of Judge C. W. Paynter, of Cedar County, Mo. May 24, 1887, Dr. Hopkins formed a co-partnership with Dr. M. D. Brewer, and this continued until October 5, 1888. He engaged in the drug business with Dr. Brewer in May, 1887, but the store was burned September 18 of the same year, with no insurance.
Return To Top of Page
Source: Goodspeed History of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade & Barton Counties, Missouri. Published by Goodspeed Pub. Co. Chicago, 1889.
Biographies of Polk County, pg. 656
Archibald Hopper, farmer and stock-raiser of Johnson Township, Polk County, Mo., was born in Marshall County, Tenn., in 1823 and is the son of Charles Hopper, who was born in North Carolina, but who emigrated to Tennessee, locating in Bedford County, and there passed the remainder of his life. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and drew a land warrant. He was married to Miss Susan Penn, also a native of North Carolina, and to them were born four children, Archibald Hopper being the youngest child and only son. Mrs. Hopper died in Texas, whither she had gone with some of her children. The paternal grandmother was born in North Carolina, and at an early date moved to Missouri, where she died. The subject of this sketch grew to manhood in Tennessee, was married there to Miss Margaret Gibbons, a native of Tennessee, who bore him two children there, and later became the mother of ten children, viz.: Andrew M., died at the age of twenty-one years; Elizabeth M., wife of John Heard; Sarah C. F. and Charles H. (twins); Nancy J. Fox died at the age of thirty-five years; Thomas; Susan C., wife of C.C. Ayers; James A.; Alvin W., died at the age of sixteen years; America E., wife of Henry C. Maxwell; Henry S.; and Margaret, wife of John Penman. The mother of these children died in 1864, and Mr. Hopper then married Mrs. Harriet A. (Rule) Mitchell, and three children were born to this union, Harriet L., wife of J. G. Walker; Tennessee, died in infancy, and Ollie died at the age of three years. Mrs. Harriet Hopper died in 1870, and Mr. Hopper married Miss Mary E. Mitchell, but no relative of the former family of Mitchells, in 1871. Mr. Hopper came to Missouri March 28, 1847, and raised the first crop where Humansville is now located. The next year he entered fifty acres of land, settled on the same, and here he has remained ever since. During the Civil War he enlisted in the Union army, in Company C, Eighth Missouri State Militia, and was in service about two years. He was appointed constable of Johnson Township, and, in order to fill the office, was discharged from regular service. He has been road overseer of the township for two years, and overseer of one-half the township once since. He has an excellent farm of 205 acres, also raises stock, and is one of the first-class farmers of the county, his property being the result of his own exertions. He is a Master Mason, a Republican, and is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Submitted by: Lorrey Calderin firstname.lastname@example.org
Return To Top of Page
Atha Gregory HUDSON
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pg. 657--Polk County Biographies Section
Atha Gregory Hudson, a harness manufacturer, is a Virginian, born in Halifax County, November 25, 1813, and is a son of Daniel and Sallie Hudson, but was left an orphan when about seven years of age, and was reared in Kentucky. When about fourteen years of age he began learning the harness-makers' trade in Hopkinsville, Ky., and, after becoming thoroughly acquainted with the details of the business, worked in that State for a number of years. In October, 1851, he came to Cedar County, Mo., where he made his home until 1877, when he located in Humansville. During the war he worked in Sedalia, Mo. He was married in Kentucky in 1835 to Miss Catherine Ann Elizabeth Lander, a daughter of Henry Lander, and granddaughter of Maj. Brassfield, of Clark County, Ky. They have two sons and two daughters living: Charles William, a farmer, of Vernon County, Mo., a substantial citizen of the county, and a soldier in the late war; John the other son; Ophelia Kate, wife of Cicero Warner; and Mollie, wife of E. P. White, a railroad contractor of New Orleans, La. Mr. and Mrs. Hudson have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, from youth.
ALTHA GREGORY HUDSON
From the Humansville Star-Leader, Vol. 33, No. 29, Humansville, Polk County, Missouri, Wednesday, December 1, 1909
When the usual time allotted to man is three score years and ten, it is something unusual for a man to reach the age of 96 years, but such is the case with A. G. Hudson (Atha Gregory) of this city. On last Thursday, November 25, "Uncle Waxey" celebrated the advent of his berth with an excellent dinner and a most enjoyable day.
Most every one has many things for which they are thankful and we believe "Uncle Waxey and Grandma" (Catherine Lander Hudson) have more than most people. They have been married over 72 years, both have exceptionally good health for people so old, every one has a kind word for them and their friends are legion. How grand it must be to live to such a ripe old age under such conditions.
"Uncle Waxey" says he is going to live to be 100 and we earnestly hope the old gentlemen's desire to do so will be fulfilled. (He lived to be 99 1/2)
Submitted by: Ginette VandenOever
Return To Top of Page
W. R. HUDSON
HISTORY OF HICKORY, POLK, CEDAR, DADE AND BARTON COUNTIES, MISSOURI 1889, published by Goodspeed, Pgs. 657, 658--Polk County Biographies Section
W. R. Hudson, prosecuting attorney of Polk County, Mo., was born in Lincoln County, Mo., August 30, 1839, and is the son of Charles and Frances (Sitton) Hudson, natives of South Carolina and Tennessee, respectively, and who came with their parents to Missouri in 1818 and 1817, respectively. Isaac Hudson, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was supposed to have been a lineal descendent of Henry Hudson, He was a planter by occupation, and was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, serving from Southern Carolina, who soon after the Revolution emigrated to Kentucky, and from ther to Missouri. Frances Sitton was the daughter of Philip Sitton, a Tennesseean, who served in the War of 1812, and did duty at New Orleans, and who also served in the Indian wars. He was a farmer by occupation and a carpenter by trade. W. R. Hudson grew to manhood in Lincoln County and, in March, 1862, he enlisted in Company D, Third Missouri State Militia Cavalry, was in service for about eighteen months, when he was honorably discharged on account of disability. Immediately after the war he took up the study of law (for which he had been strongly inclined from early manhood), at his home, and was admitted at Warsaw, Mo., in 1872. He then located at Hermitage, Mo., and prosecuted his practice there until 1876, when he came to Humansville, and has since been prominently before the public as a lawyer. On both sides of this genealogical tree we find longevity of life a striking characteristic. The Hudsons were of medium stature, strong physique, and liberal in religious matters. Mr. Hudson was married, while in Lincoln County, to Miss Nancy Mabry, a native of Missouri. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity (Blue Lodge), and is also a member of S. A. M. George Post No. 231, G. A. R., and has filled official positions in the same.
Return to Polk Co. Return to Index
© 2001--2005; Kay Griffin Snow